What’s wrong with mybadjk now?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Lol we’ll everything was fine four about a week. Just got back from my trip and pulled in at my place. When I️ parked I️ heard a loud pop/crack.

Saw ps fluid everywhere. Anyone know was causing the crack/pop noise? Checked the lines and they’re tight. Didn’t see any fluid coming out of the lines. Seems like it’s coming for the hardline at the fitting. Maybe a bad o ring?

Here’s a video.

The noise is at :05 seconds.
https://youtu.be/mdpz7N71ulQ

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Lol we’ll everything was fine four about a week. Just got back from my trip and pulled in at my place. When I️ parked I️ heard a loud pop/crack.

Saw ps fluid everywhere. Anyone know was causing the crack/pop noise? Checked the lines and they’re tight. Didn’t see any fluid coming out of the lines. Seems like it’s coming for the hardline at the fitting. Maybe a bad o ring?

Here’s a video.

The noise is at :05 seconds.
https://youtu.be/mdpz7N71ulQ

did you check the steering gear box where the steering shaft goes into the box? it should rotate, not have in and out play (there is no other way to say that lol)

that's what mine sounded like each time I would turn before it failed.

took me awhile to figure out it was coming from the steering box, failed as I was on a freeway transition ramp, I steered one way, the jeep kept going the other :eek:

possible it's an o-ring as well

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
did you check the steering gear box where the steering shaft goes into the box? it should rotate, not have in and out play (there is no other way to say that lol)

that's what mine sounded like each time I would turn before it failed.

took me awhile to figure out it was coming from the steering box, failed as I was on a freeway transition ramp, I steered one way, the jeep kept going the other :eek:

possible it's an o-ring as well

I will have to check this out. The box is two months old. It’s a Delphi from autozone. May have been a rebuild.

jeeeep

Hooked
I will have to check this out. The box is two months old. It’s a Delphi from autozone. May have been a rebuild.

depends on how much you paid for it, if they required a core swap then it was probably a rebuild.

That sounds like a really bad time!

it definitely made me pucker. had to drive really slow the rest of the way home with the minimal steering left

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Had a coworker turn the steering wheel. Box wasn’t leaking or popping. Possibility it was from it being hot?

Where do you have your PSC vent tube pointing? Could it be that what you were seeing came from it? That would make sense if you boiled it over.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Where do you have your PSC vent tube pointing? Could it be that what you were seeing came from it? That would make sense if you boiled it over.

That for the psc reservoir or normal power steering box? Mines just a delphi. I️ did notice, it looks like theirs a valve right but the hardlines on the box.

IMG_5087.jpg

Here’s a picture I️ found online. Is where the arrow pointing at a pressure release?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That for the psc reservoir or normal power steering box? Mines just a delphi. I️ did notice, it looks like theirs a valve right but the hardlines on the box.

Here’s a picture I️ found online. Is where the arrow pointing at a pressure release?

For the reservoir. If you were boiling over, fluid would have come out of the breather hose. Could what you saw have come from it? Don't know what that things is you're pointing at.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Are you running ATF in your PSC?

Looking at the pic, I would have thought it was coming from the breather too.

One last thing, are you sure the "red" fluid wasn't coolant?
Recently my radiator boiled over, and the overflow dumps right on top of power steering.... first thought it was PS fluid till I touched it and it wasn't oily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Recently my radiator boiled over, and the overflow dumps right on top of power steering.... first thought it was PS fluid till I touched it and it wasn't oily.

Yup, that's why I asked about it maybe being coolant. It'd be reddish in color and would purge in that area.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Yup, that's why I asked about it maybe being coolant. It'd be reddish in color and would purge in that area.

I’ll have to check. I️ forgot the coolant overflow was right there. If I️ remember correctly I’m suppose to have green but has orange/reddish fluid. I’ll check when I️ get off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll have to check. I️ forgot the coolant overflow was right there. If I️ remember correctly I’m suppose to have green but has orange/reddish fluid. I’ll check when I️ get off.

Negative on the green. You have a 2013 and should be running OAT which is purplish in color. This can look reddish over time and when purged out of the reservoir. Orange is HOAT and it too can look reddish over time as well and when purged but is NOT for your year JK.

Top Bottom