Psc Big bore

rogerk93

So I decided since I had to replace the gear box on my Jeep due to the sector shaft braking from an accident, i would pay the difference out of pocket to get the big bore installed instead. First thing I noticed right away was how much slower the steering was. Not a bad thing but something you would have to get used to. Jeeps steering feels much more solid, firm, and the steering response is a huge difference. If you turn the wheel an inch you feel your wheels move so slightly. I don’t have that play feeling in the steering wheel anymore. I do have 40’s and the big bore is recommended for 37’s but I am happy with the improvements so far I have to wheel it soon to see the real difference. The website recommends you upgrade the steering bump as well to their high flow pump and I will do that down the line and see if it makes a difference as well. Overall I am happy with the upgrade and recommended it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Thanks for the honest review. I kind of wonder if some of what you're feeling will loosen up over time kind of the way new ball joints do. Please keep us up to date as time goes on. :yup:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
My XDII box felt tight when I first installed it. It did loosen up quite a bit and feels more comfortable now. I have in for about 2-3 months now, it is a big improvement over stock on the trail. I also upgraded my drag link and tie rod. I am not running a ram, I might add the PSC pump down the road when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I believe it will make some difference since it has more flow.

rogerk93

Nice! Thanks for the honest review. I kind of wonder if some of what you're feeling will loosen up over time kind of the way new ball joints do. Please keep us up to date as time goes on. :yup:

I was wondering the same, I just assumed because it was new it was still tight. I will keep post as it is an affordable way to upgrade the steering without doing a complete hydro assist.

wjtstudios

Hooked
My XDll loosened up as well. Tight like a full size truck for the first month, then it loosened up. It’s still heavier in feel than a stock gear, but it should be for how large it is.

Happy to say I have the Psc XD and I love it! Like others it loosens up definitely. Steering is tight and very responsive! I just wish I could’ve upgraded to the pump etc at once. But overall WAY better than stock.

rogerk93

Happy to say I have the Psc XD and I love it! Like others it loosens up definitely. Steering is tight and very responsive! I just wish I could’ve upgraded to the pump etc at once. But overall WAY better than stock.

Yea me too, I didn’t realize they recommended the pump with the box at first I would have Just bit the bullet and done it. But we live and learn I’m going to try and get it done as soon as I can.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm looking at this and I see that PSC recommends their pump, according to them there is very little gain in using the Big bore with the OEM pump. What is the veredict on this, at $~800 this looks like a worthy upgrade, at $1200 it takes a bit longer to be put on the must do list

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'm looking at this and I see that PSC recommends their pump, according to them there is very little gain in using the Big bore with the OEM pump. What is the veredict on this, at $~800 this looks like a worthy upgrade, at $1200 it takes a bit longer to be put on the must do list

I did not install the pump, but there is a massive gain in the ease of turning when off-road with the XDll-r. I’m not sure if the pump will take it to another level, but it works great with out the pump.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have the whole shebang.

The Resevior
The XDII-R box
The XD Pump
1.75" Ram Cylinder

Plus the Goodies:
Pressure Hose Conversion
1/2" Return line/Cooler Kit

The Jeep Drives just fine. And there is plenty of turning power when asked. I also noticed actual wheel turning increased. The box seems to be about 1.75 turns from center to full lock rather than the factory 1.5 turns. which is fine. Also the dead spot in the factory steering wheel setup (play in the steering wheel) is completely gone.

HOWEVER, I do still experience the "drag" when maneuvering in a parking lot, so the pump, big return line, etc does not solve that despite seeing it mentioned to do so all over the forum. Perhaps the results are different for guys running the normal box or the 1.5" Ram Cylinder who then install the big line kit, But I can not comment. I drove Mike_JK_Houston's rig around before Installing my PSC kit, while his jeep is on 60s & 40s, and is running the Standard PSC kit without the big line upgrade; It feels nearly Identical to my setup in tight parking lot maneuvers.

The setup is great, I'm glad I have it. But at the end of the day, having driven both, I feel I would have been just as happy with the standard PSC Cylinder Assist Kit. I see no additional benefit in steering performance over the standard kit so far, aside from the fact that the box is huge, so if I ever have an issue with the ram, I will be able to pull it and still have decent steering in the rocks, which is a plus. the sector shaft is MASSIVE, so if/when running without the ram, no worries there. Aside from that :idontknow:

IF redundancy is important, and the price difference remains negligible on the scale, I'ed still recommend the XD kit to a friend; if just for the benefits stated above. But again, the standard kit seems to be pretty on par when everything is working together as it should. :twocents:

rogerk93

The Resevior
The XDII-R box
The XD Pump
1.75" Ram Cylinder

Plus the Goodies:
Pressure Hose Conversion

The Jeep Drives just fine. And there is plenty of turning power when asked. I also noticed actual wheel turning increased. The box seems to be about 1.75 turns from center to full lock rather than the factory 1.5 turns. which is fine. Also the dead spot in the factory steering wheel setup (play in the steering wheel) is completely gone.

HOWEVER, I do still experience the "drag" when maneuvering in a parking lot, so the pump, big return line, etc does not solve that despite seeing it mentioned to do so all over the forum. Perhaps the results are different for guys running the normal box or the 1.5" Ram Cylinder who then install the big line kit, But I can not comment. I drove Mike_JK_Houston's rig around before Installing my PSC kit, while his jeep is on 60s & 40s, and is running the Standard PSC kit without the big line upgrade; It feels nearly Identical to my setup in tight parking lot maneuvers.

The setup is great, I'm glad I have it. But at the end of the day, having driven both, I feel I would have been just as happy with the standard PSC Cylinder Assist Kit. I see no additional benefit in steering performance over the standard kit so far, aside from the fact that the box is huge, so if I ever have an issue with the ram, I will be able to pull it and still have decent steering in the rocks, which is a plus. the sector shaft is MASSIVE, so if/when running without the ram, no worries there. Aside from that :idontknow:

IF redundancy is important, and the price difference remains negligible on the scale, I'ed still recommend the XD kit to a friend; if just for the benefits stated above. But again, the standard kit seems to be pretty on par when everything is working together as it should. :twocents:

A few of my buddies have the whole thing as well and it is amazing you will have to get used to the sensitivity on the highway as it is more responsive with the ram. I wish I did the whole kit but my budget now with Christmas around the corner didn’t allow it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
A few of my buddies have the whole thing as well and it is amazing you will have to get used to the sensitivity on the highway as it is more responsive with the ram. I wish I did the whole kit but my budget now with Christmas around the corner didn’t allow it.

The highway driving is fine. I wouldn't call it "sensitive". Like I said, the "dead spot" in the steering wheel is gone. meaning, you turn the wheel, the tires turn... Just like it would be with a rack and pinion. :yup: IMO, the highway drive-ability has greatly INCREASED with the PSC. I can now "drive with my knee" and eat while on the road. which is a nice plus in the jeep. No more constantly correcting with the wheel as the drag link rolls on the ball joint. The play is GONE

I was blown away with the additional caster of the PR44 when I installed it and drove it on the highway for the first time. But in addition to the caster, the PSC REALLY makes the steering feel planted and connected. :thumb:

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

The Resevior
The XDII-R box
The XD Pump
1.75" Ram Cylinder

Plus the Goodies:
Pressure Hose Conversion

I think the parking lot maneuvering lag is probably related to the size of the ram.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I think the parking lot maneuvering lag is probably related to the size of the ram.

I'm leaning more on the side of "its a ram assist thing" Charlies jeep does it, Mikes jeep does it, Christians jeep does, My jeep now does it too. I've never driven the Pig, So I cant comment, but I bet that 6.0 plays a little differently at the very least. :brows:

I'm by no means an expert, I just think it takes longer to move the additional fluid volume in/out of the ram cylinder AND the steering box piston. So QUICK steering maneuvers like standard parking-lot lock to lock needs to slow down to compensate for the additional fluid volume transfer. Who's to say for sure.

Either way, The parking-lot characteristics of the steering system is taking me longer to adjust to than the so-called "sensitivity on the highway" Like I said, In my opinion, the jeep feels much BETTER on the highway with the PSC than it did without, Much more connected, 80mph without sawing away at the dead spot to keep the jeep inside the lane is MUCH more comfortable. :thumb: again, this is just my opinion.

EDIT: I mean. "at a 100+mph through the desert" ... :cheesy:

Last edited:

RedRocker

I really wanted this upgrade for my LS3 JKU but the new Gen 2 Big Bore box is too big and will not fit - clearance to my A/C compressor issue. I don't really want to run hydro assist because of the "lag" I often hear of at low speeds. I'm currently running 37s on PR60s with the stock steering gear with no issues but want to upgrade to 40s when I need tires again.

Deacon

Really informative thread. DWiggles enjoyed your review of your set up.

Was leaning towards the Red Neck Ram on my 60/60 37" set up, but am thinking maybe just get Big bore box to start with and go from there. Didn't realize the parking lot drag was an issue and think it would really bug me. Getting rid of the highway free play sounds really nice.

Any others have any input on just replacing with the PSC Big Bore Box ?

wjtstudios

Hooked

Was leaning towards the Red Neck Ram on my 60/60 37" set up, but am thinking maybe just get Big bore box to start with and go from there. Didn't realize the parking lot drag was an issue and think it would really bug me. Getting rid of the highway free play sounds really nice.

If your just running 37s, just swapping the box to the XDll-r should be fine. I have no problem turning mine on rocks or in sand. If(when) I go to 40s, I will add the ram.

Jackal01

Honestly the slow maneuvering "drag" bothered me but after a couple weeks I got used to it and is no longer an issue.

K_Lees762

I'm new to this place and love it. So much info on the JK's. I just blew my pump this weekend and was thinking about going to the full psc set up and my buddy (with the full set up) mention just getting the psc pump and box since his is so slow and I daily mine. So I'm thinking I'll go that route for now since I'm only running 37s.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Honestly the slow maneuvering "drag" bothered me but after a couple weeks I got used to it and is no longer an issue.

I'll second this, I don't even notice it anymore. :yup: It just FELT different from the previous steering setup, now that I am used to it, it feels normal

Top Bottom