Diff fluid for 5.13

DLiT

I’m running Dana 44’s w/ E-Lockers, 5.13 gears, and 37” Maxxis Trepadors on Hutchinson Rock Monsters in my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2-door. Which diff fluid should I be using? I was using 80w 90 but I want to make sure I’m not running too hot.

-2008 Jeep JK-

Images, Videos, and Wiring Diagrams are greatly appreciated!

*Please indicate which years they apply to Incase someone else has a similar issue

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Also in an 08, same gears, and tire size with ARB lockers. I'm running 85/140 Dino oil without any friction modifiers. I only look for oils without friction modifiers because of the ARB O rings.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Then general consensus is to run 80w90 if you are running a conservative gear set, and dont Tow ~OR~ 75w140 if running a performance gear set or DO Tow. Being that you have 5.13 and 37s, That would put you in the "performance gear set" category. But Ultimately it will depend on you and your driving style.

The absolute truth is CHANGING your gear oil at more frequent intervals (~15k) makes MORE of a difference than which of the two weights you use. :beer:

Last edited:

jpone

Also in an 08, same gears, and tire size with ARB lockers. I'm running 85/140 Dino oil without any friction modifiers. I only look for oils without friction modifiers because of the ARB O rings.

Which oil do you use without the friction modifier? I'm struggling a little bit to find in local auto parts stores.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I believe it was Castrol. I remember looking at valvoline, and while it didn't specifically mention friction modifiers, it said safe for Limited Slip so I passed on it just in case.

kawimoto

Same as stated. but with a elocker you should be fine running a semi synthetic or full synthetic blend. I run the grade heavier 85/140 due to the lower gearing but I know plenty of guys running the lighter grade with 5.13 gears. preference really. If you tow a lot and/or cruise a lot of hills at speed itd benefit the heavier grade more

Top Bottom