EVO Bolt On Coilovers

bl17z90

This is me planning for the future. In this future vision of mine I want to run the bolt on coilovers on my JK. I have heard people say that getting coilovers balanced when tuning them is difficult, so I need to know if this is true or a breif overview of what goes into setting them properly.

Another question I had is what else would I need besides just buying the kits from EVO. I know that I would need front and rear driveshafts which is something I want to get anyways, but what do I need in the ways of control arms and other suspension/steering parts?

Again this is in the early planning stages and by the time I'm ready there might be something better, 2 years ago I didn't even own a Jeep so who knows whats next. :thumb:

~Thanks

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
It depends how much money you want to spend as far as setting them up properly.

Minimal you want a drag link flip and lower front adjustable control arms. You will not need to "tune" the coilsovers. If you read people saying they have, well please don't listen to them 👌

The coilovers are adjustable for ride height. That's the only thing you will need to adjust. It's very simple process.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is me planning for the future. In this future vision of mine I want to run the bolt on coilovers on my JK. I have heard people say that getting coilovers balanced when tuning them is difficult, so I need to know if this is true or a breif overview of what goes into setting them properly.

Maybe I'm just missing the question but, what you mean by getting them "balanced when tuning them" :idontknow:

Another question I had is what else would I need besides just buying the kits from EVO. I know that I would need front and rear driveshafts which is something I want to get anyways, but what do I need in the ways of control arms and other suspension/steering parts?

At bare minimum, I would recommend getting the EVO drag link flip/track bar relocation system, adjustable front lower control arms and rear uppers.

bl17z90

Tuning means adjusting the height right? Based on the way it sounded to me. The guy I talked to had a hard time getting the ride height to match on both sides. Thats what I think he meant, I tend to think of questions to ask a few days later after a conversation takes place so I never get all of the information I need :thinking:

I'm still up in the air between the coilovers and the enforcer kit. I like the idea of the enforcer kit because I know what is needed and how to install it since I have worked with enough coil kits to know what I'm doing. I think the coilovers just seem intimidating because they are different from what I know.

Last edited:

GCM 2

Tuning means adjusting the height right?

Not really, setting the ride height on coilovers really is just that, setting how high or low you want the vehicle to ride. However, you can affect the overall quality of the ride by dialing in too much height which will eventually compress your coils enough to give a hard ride, so I guess you have kind of tuned them poorly.

But "tuning" is a really very involved process which requires initially determining the weight of a vehicle and what it will be used for, choosing the right single or dual rate coil for front and rear, then taking the internal shim stacks of a shock and/or coilover, adjusting those, determining the internal valving with the shock and or coilover, adjusting those, then if you have internal or external by-pass shocks, adjusting the compression and rebound for each stage. There are single by-pass all the way to 6 tube by-pass. It isn't easy to get it perfect, but fortunately if you buy EVO spec'd King shocks, EVO has done all the tuning for you. Or you can buy off the shelf Kings, then for around $1700 a session, hire the guys at King to meet you out in Johnson Valley to do custom tuning for you

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
But "tuning" is a really very involved process which requires initially determining the weight of a vehicle and what it will be used for, choosing the right single or dual rate coil for front and rear, then taking the internal shim stacks of a shock and/or coilover, adjusting those, determining the internal valving with the shock and or coilover, adjusting those, then if you have internal or external by-pass shocks, adjusting the compression and rebound for each stage. There are single by-pass all the way to 6 tube by-pass.
^^^HEADSPLODE :ahhh-what:

It isn't easy to get it perfect, but fortunately if you buy EVO spec'd King shocks, EVO has done all the tuning for you. Or you can buy off the shelf Kings, then for around $1700 a session, hire the guys at King to meet you out in Johnson Valley to do custom tuning for you
^^^ That is very nice of Evo to tune the Kings for us! Are their Compression adjustable King 2.5" also been tuned to their plush ride coils or only the non-compression adjustable?

Edit: Nevermind...You just answered this question on the EVO Enforcer thread. :drinks:

Last edited:

bl17z90

Maybe the guy I talked to was using a brand of coilover that wasn't pretuned or vehicle specific.

I don't think I really have a need for coilovers but I hear so many people say how smooth the ride is and how much flex they get and it just sounds like something I would really want to have. I would probably only use it to its full potential a few times over the course of my Jeeps life but the smooth ride would be nice too, my AEV kit rides pretty rough.

TacPen

Banned
Or you can buy off the shelf Kings, then for around $1700 a session, hire the guys at King to meet you out in Johnson Valley to do custom tuning for you

Depending on the planned usage of the shocks (rock crawling, pre-running, street) and the vehicle they will be used on (weight, suspension, etc.) this stuff has been done before and you can also just call King and have them use their crib sheets to tune the shocks for your vehicle before they ship.

No matter what, suspensions are always a compromise. Tuning just means choosing the best compromise for your purposes.

1BAMFR

Maybe I'm just missing the question but, what you mean by getting them "balanced when tuning them" :idontknow:

At bare minimum, I would recommend getting the EVO drag link flip/track bar relocation system, adjustable front lower control arms and rear uppers.

That sounds pretty intense!

GCM 2

Depending on the planned usage of the shocks (rock crawling, pre-running, street) and the vehicle they will be used on (weight, suspension, etc.) this stuff has been done before and you can also just call King and have them use their crib sheets to tune the shocks for your vehicle before they ship.

No matter what, suspensions are always a compromise. Tuning just means choosing the best compromise for your purposes.

......or you just call Off Road Evolution and say "I'll take four please". I had to figure out all of the stuff you have written about above on two other vehicles, I'm no legendary mechanical genius, but can hold my own around a shop. It's not that easy, if it was you wouldn't see full blown trophy truck race teams and King of the Hammer race cars hiring King Shocks to head out into the desert to conduct testing and tuning sessions. For the average bear, what Off Road Evolution has invested in figuring out this coilover/bypass shock tuning, is worth 99% of Offroaders buying their turnkey solution :thumb:

StrizzyChris

Maybe the guy I talked to was using a brand of coilover that wasn't pretuned or vehicle specific.

Eddie is running these on rubicat and I haven't heard of him needing to tune these. I have a set sitting on my porch, ready for instal, and ill update you once I do.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

TacPen

Banned
For the average bear, what Off Road Evolution has invested in figuring out this coilover/bypass shock tuning, is worth 99% of Offroaders buying their turnkey solution

Hey, anytime somebody's done the work for you there's no reason not to take advantage of it unless you want something specific or different.

Again this is in the early planning stages and by the time I'm ready there might be something better, 2 years ago I didn't even own a Jeep so who knows whats next. :thumb:

~Thanks

Cool you will love coil overs. As far as "I have heard people say that getting coilovers balanced when tuning them is difficult" This Is true if you buy off the shelve non specific coil overs you see for sale here and there.

Off Road Evolution has spent 1000s of HR and 10s of thousands of dollars testing ,tuning, build, and dealing with coil overs , and suspension systems , this allows us to get You the best coil over system off the EVO shelve.
Give us a call if you have any questions

Tackerdown

Banned
gotta say its pretty cool having you on here. I'm not sure if you realize how many of these guise answer questions about you prod. :yup: and always good.

GCM 2

Cool you will love coil overs. As far as "I have heard people say that getting coilovers balanced when tuning them is difficult" This Is true if you buy off the shelve non specific coil overs you see for sale here and there.

Off Road Evolution has spent 1000s of HR and 10s of thousands of dollars testing ,tuning, build, and dealing with coil overs , and suspension systems , this allows us to get You the best coil over system off the EVO shelve.
Give us a call if you have any questions

......and there you have it, thanks for writing what I been saying all along! Thanks Mel :rock:

Atch

Tuning means adjusting the height right? Based on the way it sounded to me. The guy I talked to had a hard time getting the ride height to match on both sides. Thats what I think he meant, I tend to think of questions to ask a few days later after a conversation takes place so I never get all of the information I need :thinking:

I'm still up in the air between the coilovers and the enforcer kit. I like the idea of the enforcer kit because I know what is needed and how to install it since I have worked with enough coil kits to know what I'm doing. I think the coilovers just seem intimidating because they are different from what I know.

Don't be intimidated by the EVO bolt on kit, yeah there are some stories out there if how hard it was. If you have the tools to install a regular lift & tools to cut steel and the ability to follow written instructions you're good to go!

bl17z90

......and there you have it, thanks for writing what I been saying all along! Thanks Mel :rock:

What was that you called him in Eddie's video? "The man the myth the legend"

W8 that was your right?

So what I have gathered here is when it gets delivered it will be as simple as bolting it on and going? What ride height does it sit at when its shipped?

bl17z90

So maybe you can answer the question I had about that video. What happened to Evo 1? It sounded like the winch line go caught under the rig and spun on the driveshaft and the hook wrecked the underside. Is that correct?

Top Bottom