Evo hinged carrier vs evo body mounted

Recurve

As title describes I'm curious about the pros an cons of both, and my setup. With my Jeep I'm going to probably be running 37s for a long time if not forever.
My question is do I really get any benefit from the evo body mounted carrier besides "it looks badass" ? Is there a real advantage to the body mounted carrier? Maybe better departure angle/protection.
I've talked to a couple people running the body mounted carrier, most said they would rather have the hinge carrier if they were not running 40s.

They said it's a pain getting out the hinges in off camber situations when you need access to the cargo area.
Usually when I get stuck it's always in a weird angle or I'm bellied out on a rock.

For my situation I think the evo hinge carrier will be more then enough and a lot easier/quicker access to the cargo area.
I do love the look of the body mounted tire carrier though. Super badass for sure, but is it worth it when running 37s?

Would like to know what you guys think . [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As title describes I'm curious about the pros an cons of both, and my setup. With my Jeep I'm going to probably be running 37s for a long time if not forever.
My question is do I really get any benefit from the evo body mounted carrier besides "it looks badass" ? Is there a real advantage to the body mounted carrier? Maybe better departure angle/protection.
I've talked to a couple people running the body mounted carrier, most said they would rather have the hinge carrier if they were not running 40s.

They said it's a pain getting out the hinges in off camber situations when you need access to the cargo area.
Usually when I get stuck it's always in a weird angle or I'm bellied out on a rock.

For my situation I think the evo hinge carrier will be more then enough and a lot easier/quicker access to the cargo area.
I do love the look of the body mounted tire carrier though. Super badass for sure, but is it worth it when running 37s?

Would like to know what you guys think . [emoji1303]

I would say that the body mounted carrier is always worth it. Takes the tire off the tailgate, protects it more, and distributes the weight thru the body. I think it’s a better option that the new hinge mounted carrier no matter what size you run

Recurve

Sounds like you got everything figured out. Good luck with the hinged carrier and let us know your thoughts after you have used it for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/

I don't have everything figured out, or else I wouldn't be asking. I only got a few opinions from people , so just writing down what I know from them.
I just wanted more opinions, cause I don't know the benefits of mounted vs non mounted.

Recurve

I would say that the body mounted carrier is always worth it. Takes the tire off the tailgate, protects it more, and distributes the weight thru the body. I think it’s a better option that the new hinge mounted carrier no matter what size you run

Thanks steve . I never looked at it that way. With that thinking if you take a hard hit or drop off a huge ledge the hinged carrier we be more prone to breaking or bending the tailgate?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks steve . I never looked at it that way. With that thinking if you take a hard hit or drop off a huge ledge the hinged carrier we be more prone to breaking or bending the tailgate?

With how evo builds things I don’t think it will break but I did see someone on here post a pic of the bracket the tire bolts to bending after coming off a ledge

fiend

Caught the Bug
What does the body mount attach to? I see the “corners,” but I have the impression that they are just connected to thin sheet metal via a bunch of nutserts. I could be wrong. Do they attach to something more substantial?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What does the body mount attach to? I see the “corners,” but I have the impression that they are just connected to thin sheet metal via a bunch of nutserts. I could be wrong. Do they attach to something more substantial?

Nope you are right, it’s connected thru the nurserts to the body. It works so well because of how it distributes the weight thru the body over a large area.

JAGS

Hooked
With how evo builds things I don’t think it will break but I did see someone on here post a pic of the bracket the tire bolts to bending after coming off a ledge

This is the only thing that worries me about the hinge carrier. Yes, pick better lines. [emoji6] but I've come down on my EVO cage and never have really worried about it.

The cons to the cage are cost. And that you must include the EVO corner armor. And install is a challenge if you're not so inclined.

Howellusmc

I just added the hinged tire carrier this weekend, so I don’t have any long term experience with it. What I can tell you is the install was a breeze and it doesn’t rattle. I have a 37 mounted to it. I bought it because I liked the simple access to the rear of the jeep. I have seen attachments for your hitch to help protect it when off-roading. I do agree the body mounted kit looks awesome. Good luck!

Recurve

This is the only thing that worries me about the hinge carrier. Yes, pick better lines. [emoji6] but I've come down on my EVO cage and never have really worried about it.

The cons to the cage are cost. And that you must include the EVO corner armor. And install is a challenge if you're not so inclined.

For sure. I wouldn't have problem putting it together , I'm sure it will be easier with a second set of hands as well. Yeah , it's pricey but the corner armor is great protection as well. [emoji1303]

Ddays

Hooked
For sure. I wouldn't have problem putting it together , I'm sure it will be easier with a second set of hands as well. Yeah , it's pricey but the corner armor is great protection as well. [emoji1303]

The 4 hinge mounts do bolt through the armor and sandwich the body panels so you also get strength there as well. This thing is extremely stout. I wouldn't try it but I bet it would support the weight of the Jeep briefly. Honestly, there are some times when it can be a pain in the ass to open in off camber situations like you mentioned, but I just keep a bungee that I wrap around the tire securing "Tee" and hook it onto the tailgate. Problem solved. Go for it. You will not be disappointed. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
In theory, the body mounted carrier also acts as a rear stinger of sorts in the event of a roll and should provide a measure of extra protection for the rear passengers (provided the entire stock sport bar does not collapse).

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Depends on use case. If you (or your spouse) access the rear cargo space often (like loading sports equipment, groceries, camping gear, etc) I think you're going to get pretty tired of removing the clips, swinging the tire out of they way, then opening the tailgate. One handed operation is awesome.

If all you care about is looking cool and having a super stout tire carrier, then go body mount. Just isn't as practical for daily driven Jeeps (such as mine).

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Depends on use case. If you (or your spouse) access the rear cargo space often (like loading sports equipment, groceries, camping gear, etc) I think you're going to get pretty tired of removing the clips, swinging the tire out of they way, then opening the tailgate. One handed operation is awesome.

If all you care about is looking cool and having a super stout tire carrier, then go body mount. Just isn't as practical for daily driven Jeeps (such as mine).

Yep, I had the same thought. I had the corners on, but waffled on the carrier. Before Evo came out with the tailgate carrier, I decided to go with something different to keep that easy access. Not disappointed in my decision.

Basscat

The hinged carrier will handle 37s and give you easy access to the tailgate but be careful coming down hard off a ledge or put a slider in your receiver when wheeling in that type of terrain. Why not look into the AEV carrier / bumper combo? They make a real nice set up unless you’re wanting to go stubby front and rear? If so Poison Spyder makes a shorter rear bumper for Northridge that accepts the AEV carrier.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
On a daily driven jeep/grocery getter with 37s I would run the new carrier all day long with a hitch stinger on the bumper for trails where I was worried about coming off a ledge.

On a non DD it's a harder decision. The body mount carrier is stout. Have seen it take the weight of the full ass of the jeep dropping off a ledge with only minor damage and a tinge of a twist (was a hard enough hit to bend the tubing). I have also seen it drag going up very steep inclines....

If I were you I would do the tailgate mount and run a rear stinger in the hitch when needed.

Top Bottom