Moab Trip Report- Overdue

Vinnielax

I made my first wheeling trip to Moab on September 16-22nd. I went with a buddy who has an essentially stock Toyota FJ. This would be the first real test of my Jeep after the major work done the 2nd half of the year with Offroad Evolution.

We camped at ACT Campground, which is just south of the center of town. It was a good spot, given the amenities and proximity to restaurants & bars in town.

Day 1- We started off very easy and spent the morning on Chicken Corners before moving up to Kane Creek Canyon. Amazing views and scenery along both trails, and a good first day to get our feet wet. We didn't make it to the end of Kane due to the time of day, but it was a lot of fun. We finished up the evening at the Moab Brewery.

Day 2 - Fins N Things- Very fun day on this trail and the optional obstacles. The views were great and it was a blast to put the jeep through the paces. Overall was a pretty easy day on an iconic trail. Moab Brewery, again...

Day 3 - Sevenmile Rim- Another very fun day, but ended up cut a bit short as I started to get some strange electrical issues after coming off a ledge a bit hard. My radio and the digital items in the instrument panel stopped working (navigation showed - -, among other issues). Rather than get too far away from civilization we cut across to another area (Courthouse?) and explored a bit on the way back. Still ended up being a great day. Back at camp, I disconnected my battery and the reconnected after dinner and the electrical issue corrected itself.

Day 4 - Dome Plateau- We headed out early to start Dome Plateau and ended up meeting up with 2 other jeeps who were starting that trail also. One of them was a very nicely built up JK with a Hemi and running 40" tires. The guy driving the Hemi was in from Germany and became our defacto guide that day and led us all over that area on a lot of side trails. I'm glad, because that area isn't marked very well and we would not have seen half of what we saw by following him around! This area was amazing- lots of arches, vistas, and some nice wheeling. The optional trail section at the end almost caused my buddy in the FJ to roll, but he made it out ok. This was a great day and we really enjoyed this one.

Day 5 - Rest and Relaxing day in Moab, and then a tour through Arches National Park, including the offroad area in the middle of the park. There were a few stock 4-wheelers that were on this trail and one that got into a bit of trouble that I had to stop and help out. Luckily they were able to get turnaround after a winching and went back the way they came. Arches was great and it was a good way to end the trip.

Overall- The jeep handled great. All of the great work done at Offroad Evolution the past 6-8 months really paid off and I feel like a learned a lot about the capabilities. There were a few spots where I wish I had lockers, so I've got Drew tee'd up with a ProRock 44/60 on order to be installed in January.

-PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif -PAXP-deijE (1).gif
-PAXP-deijE (1).gif

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 135
  • EADE5174-EA06-46BC-B7C3-95E40DAE5641.JPG
    EADE5174-EA06-46BC-B7C3-95E40DAE5641.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 135
  • E620E5EC-2C47-4843-B5E8-4E3E830EF45F.JPG
    E620E5EC-2C47-4843-B5E8-4E3E830EF45F.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 138

woof359

places to stay

nice info on Moab, were starting to plan our first trip to Moab in late spring, can you suggest places to stay and things you would do ?

Top Bottom