Need help with new engine noise

Judesign

Caught the Bug

Hey guys I thought I would get some opinions before I take it to the dealer. So it’s a 2017 jkur with about 9300 on the odometer. Runs great no codes. I get this whining noise on cold starts after it’s sat for at least 4-5 hours. I’ve done my best to pinpoint where it’s coming from and from what I can tell it’s from around the oil pan area. Wondering if the oil pump is already going?
The noise increases with rpm and after about 5-7 minutes it’s gone. I watched the oil pressure when starting it this time and it did seem to go away as the pressure came down to 34-37 psi as engine warmed up. Not sure if it’s related though. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It could be the oil pump but based off the pressures your seeing it’s normal. You should see 40-50ish psi on start up and at operating temp at idle around 20-25 psi.

Silly question but when did you last do an oil change? Did you use a factory filter as well?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah I’ve done two oil changes on it since I bought it. Last one about 3000 miles ago. Factory mopar filters and Mobil 1 oil. Level is spot on. On a cold start I see oil pressure in the 80-90 range and then comes down as it warms up to low to mid 30s. Not sure if it’s oil pump related as I’ve never heard one make that noise but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
See if it increases while moving your steering wheel. Kind of sounds like a PS pump but hard to say.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
That was my first thought. It doesn’t change pitch when turning the wheel and sounds like it’s coming from the oil pan area. But then again it echoes around so much it’s hard to pin point.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah when I first start it after sitting for a few hours is when it happens and it does increase in pitch with the engine rpms. Goes away completely (that I can tell) when warmed up.
Appreciate the help guys. Trying to avoid the whole back and forth to the dealer debacle that I think I’m in for.

WJCO

Meme King
You could always pull the belt off in about 30 seconds and start it up and check it. That will eliminate a lot.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah it’s sounding like it’s way farther back from the accessories at the front of the engine but I could be chasing an echo. I’ll try with the belt off first.

14JK-U

I had a noise similar to that, it started about 15k miles ago. I started chasing it around and could never find it, finally it developed into more high pitch and persisted as long as the engine was running. my battery then died and thought it was my alternator, maybe the bearing went out, maybe the internal coils got destroyed with mud/sand/etc.. on a whim I decided to buy one of those 10 dollar mechanic stethoscopes from auto parts store to check my pulleys and it turns out the noise was coming from a shot idler pulley on my drivers side. replaced for another 10 dollars and noise went away. the battery issue just turned out to be a bad battery after many years of cold weather starting and running accessories it wasn't rated for

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I had a noise similar to that, it started about 15k miles ago. I started chasing it around and could never find it, finally it developed into more high pitch and persisted as long as the engine was running. my battery then died and thought it was my alternator, maybe the bearing went out, maybe the internal coils got destroyed with mud/sand/etc.. on a whim I decided to buy one of those 10 dollar mechanic stethoscopes from auto parts store to check my pulleys and it turns out the noise was coming from a shot idler pulley on my drivers side. replaced for another 10 dollars and noise went away. the battery issue just turned out to be a bad battery after many years of cold weather starting and running accessories it wasn't rated for

I hear you. That’s happened to me. I do have a stethoscope but can’t hear it coming from the tensioner or idler pulley. New battery is definitely on the list.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Warranty? It’s a 2017 let the service department figure it out.

Yeah definitely under warranty I’m just ‘dealer shy’ from all of the times I’ve been burned by the ‘we can’t replicated the issue’ bring it back when it catastrophically fails.’ I would like to at least have an idea before I take that step. Appreciate the help guys. I’ll keep digging and let you know what I find

Top Bottom