D30 help/suggestions

14JK-U

long story short all the money we've set aside for my prorock's got used as a down payment for the wife's rubicon couple months back. now im at the point of budgeting for holiday season and another vehicle payment again, I have to make this D30 last long enough until I can rip it out and get a prorock or something comparable under there. I'm regearing to 4.56 in about a week and putting in truetrac's front/rear, gusseting and trussing my 30. my lift purchase changed to a 2" w/ rancho 9000's and i'll be trimming my fenders to clear the new 35's. any suggestions or changes you'd make to help a D30 last? this is my DD so something big breaking wont go over well. and I know I can always hold off and save for the PR's, however waiting isn't something I'm willing to do anymore since it's been almost 2 years of waiting to get what I want :bleh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A bent housing won't leave you high and dry the way a blown axle shaft will. Skip the lame truss and use the money you save to upgrade your shafts to chromoly with full circle clips. Gussets aren't a bad idea and running a Trutrac up front is a much better upgrade than a locker as it'll be easier on your shafts.

Jeepfan30

That’s a good plan, plus what Eddie recommended. I’ve been rockin D30 with 4.56 and dual Truetracs for 2 years with 35” Toyo M/T with no problems. I did c gussets and rear chromo shafts.

14JK-U

A bent housing won't leave you high and dry the way a blown axle shaft will. Skip the lame truss and use the money you save to upgrade your shafts to chromoly with full circle clips. Gussets aren't a bad idea and running a Trutrac up front is a much better upgrade than a locker as it'll be easier on your shafts.

I was looking at the chromo shafts (or anything better than stock) but if I were to upgrade those wouldn't that put my weakest link on the R&P for a much harder trail repair?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at the chromo shafts (or anything better than stock) but if I were to upgrade those wouldn't that put my weakest link on the R&P for a much harder trail repair?

This would be true if you were going to be running something like a 5.13 but I don't think you'll have any issues with a 4.56. Of course, if it were me, I'd just wheel what you have a is until you can afford to upgrade to something better. Nothing sucks more than throwing money at a factory axle.

14JK-U

also another quick note: would a differential skid or actual covers be better to help increase the ridgidity (sp?) of the D30 housing?

TRLJNKY

This would be true if you were going to be running something like a 5.13 but I don't think you'll have any issues with a 4.56. Of course, if it were me, I'd just wheel what you have a is until you can afford to upgrade to something better. Nothing sucks more than throwing money at a factory axle.
Ive been following this advise for a a while now. I just know I have limits and have to be subtle on the skinny pedal. I feel you. Id love to dump my 30 but I have to wait till my 30 dumps me and I better not rush it lol

aka cavfighter

14JK-U

thanks for the advice, helpful as always :drinks:

14JK-U

Ive been following this advise for a a while now. I just know I have limits and have to be subtle on the skinny pedal. I feel you. Id love to dump my 30 but I have to wait till my 30 dumps me and I better not rush it lol

aka cavfighter

haha so true, the skinny pedal is fun until it costs more than just the price of gas

TRLJNKY

haha so true, the skinny pedal is fun until it costs more than just the price of gas
I will leave mine open but thats just me. I just turned 165k (DD/stock shafts) and have been running 35's for 3 years and about 50k of that. I still go play. I just need to be smart. Having the 30 on 35's no longer scares me as long as Im aware of my surroundings. Trust your instinct and dont push it. My goal is 37's and I know I cant do that until I replace the 30.

aka cavfighter

14JK-U

That’s a good plan, plus what Eddie recommended. I’ve been rockin D30 with 4.56 and dual Truetracs for 2 years with 35” Toyo M/T with no problems. I did c gussets and rear chromo shafts.
You mentioned chromo rears, any reason you didn't want them forward too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

also another quick note: would a differential skid or actual covers be better to help increase the ridgidity (sp?) of the D30 housing?

No. The cover makes no difference in rigidity on a stock housing.

Save that money and do what Eddie said we are doing the ball joints on mine right and she said when u have the money for a new axle we are swapping to a prorock we are almost there just need a little more time and we have the money my joints are shot and need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked

Best advice out there. I ran my D30 with a TT and Gussets with 4.56 until I upgraded to my PR44. I had fun with it and wheeled it in the mud with no reservations, but, if I had to go back I would have just gusseted and regeared, those $400 from the TT would have gotten me to the PR44 faster...

Battle Born JK

Best advice out there. I ran my D30 with a TT and Gussets with 4.56 until I upgraded to my PR44. I had fun with it and wheeled it in the mud with no reservations, but, if I had to go back I would have just gusseted and regeared, those $400 from the TT would have gotten me to the PR44 faster...
Did you ever break your 30?

Top Bottom