Reno Area New Years Day Run feeler

TRLJNKY

I know its early but BattlebornJk and I were thinking about trying to toss a run up on New Years Day. Possible run is Steves loop but open to other ideas. Obviously a run would be weather dependant. Would be a great way to ring in the New Year with some friends.

Running the petraglyphs in the VC area. Easy trail run. Opportunity to take in the scenery and hang with some friends to close out 17.

Changed to the date to the 31st to hopefully accomodate plans for those wanting to party down New Years eve.

Time: 0900

Location: Silverland Inn. Big parking lot with the yellow building downttown VC

Going
BattleBornJK +1
TRLJNKY +1
QuicksilverJK+1
Oreo_Penguin

Interested
DesertCrawler

Last edited:

KICKROX

Sounds fun! I'll keep an eye on this thread as we get closer to the date but I should be in for this one.

TRLJNKY

Awesome. Haha last time we did this we had quite the surprising turn out. Expected a few rigs and had a bunch show up. Ill keep this going and see how it plays out. Be great to see everyone again.

aka cavfighter

TRLJNKY

It wont be easy but I believe it could be done. More than likely you would need some help over some of the obstacles. You just need to be willing to hear some dragging sounds as your clearing the obstacles. The ravine is the hardest part. Once through that the trail is mild. Some others may chime in with recommendations to join or pass. I dont know the YJ's all that well.

aka cavfighter

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t have skid plates, my main concern is my oil pan::/

Contrary to popular myth, your oil pan is located in the middle of your Jeep and just behind your front axle. It's actually pretty hard to hit your oil pan unless you're reckless, really bad at picking good lines, have a bad spotter or refuse to use a spotter. Not saying it can't happen, it's just not as common as a lot of people like to imagine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i've seen front diff cover holes but I have never a oil pan hole.

It happens, just not as often as so many seem to think.

So diff covers should be a first body armor for sure

Not necessarily. Again, try to focus on picking good lines and use a spotter you trust when needed and you'll probably be fine. I personally would have no concerns running factory diff covers. They are affordable though and look cool and I'd run them just for that. :yup:

If anything, if you don't have em, a good set of rocker guards is what I'd recommend first - this after tow points front and rear.

fiend

Caught the Bug
If you crawl under your jeep, the oil pan looks really exposed and vulnerable. But it is actually tucked up pretty high, so is not as vulnerable as it appears. More vulnerable, I think, are the transmission lines. I crawled under my friend’s 2015 JKUR and was surprised to see the lines pretty exposed. I would prioritize that, and rocker guards, if you’re looking to armor up. Fancy bumpers and diff covers will do you no good if your ATF is in a puddle on the trail.

Top Bottom