Amber LEDs in the dust?

LasVegasJK

Let’s talk about lights. I couldn’t see crap on the last night run in the dust. My JW Speakers are great, but rendered useless in heavy dust conditions.
Do I need Amber colored lights? Do they work well in dust? What about in snowy conditions? I grew up in Michigan, so I’ve driven in the snow most of my life. But, I’ve never had led headlights. Only regular ol stock lights on all my previous vehicles. Now that I live in southern Nevada, every time I’m on a night run, the dust is an issue. Snow isn’t too much of a concern, but I do travel, and would hate to get caught in a snow fall and not be able to see.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Can’t tell you for dust, but for snow I agree 3000 kelvin yellow lights are amazing especially when it’s coming down.

Not my video (or horrible music for that matter) but shows the difference about half way through.

Can clearly see the visibility is greatly reduced by the white reflecting back off the snow. I would think dust would be similar? But I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Big difference with the yellow lights, Good to know. All of our white LED lights suck when snow is falling.

Ddays

Hooked
Holy hell, is that guy a rally driver?

Pretty cool regarding the lights. I never realized the amber worked so well in snow.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Apparently green also works well in the dust, but have never seen green lights so I can't confirm that.

pop2tu

Apparently green also works well in the dust, but have never seen green lights so I can't confirm that.

I have green covers that I can clip on my pod lights, had Amber for a while. The amber was a little dark, but the green was a good combo for being bright enough to see and yet not so bright to blind you. Wish I had a pic

I have green covers that I can clip on my pod lights, had Amber for a while. The amber was a little dark, but the green was a good combo for being bright enough to see and yet not so bright to blind you. Wish I had a pic

I’d like to see a side by side of that for sure. Michigan doesn’t allow non road commission vehicles to have green lights yet, boo Michigan, if you have pics of their output at night post em up.

BobNH

I switched out my oe fog bulbs for some nokya yellow halogens. They were great on my tj, and are great on my jk. I too have the jw speakers.
I also have done some final tweaks to the beam and its much better. The alignment directions leave them aiming high so that lows are almost highs, and the highs have a huge box in the upper trees, plus some on the road. I just set my lows to shine about where stock lights shine to, and now they are amazing. It's about 6" lower than the directions stated, or about 6" below the horizontal aiming line. Much better pattern, much better in snow, and speed limit signs no longer burn my eyes from the white light.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LasVegasJK

I switched out my oe fog bulbs for some nokya yellow halogens. They were great on my tj, and are great on my jk. I too have the jw speakers.
I also have done some final tweaks to the beam and its much better. The alignment directions leave them aiming high so that lows are almost highs, and the highs have a huge box in the upper trees, plus some on the road. I just set my lows to shine about where stock lights shine to, and now they are amazing. It's about 6" lower than the directions stated, or about 6" below the horizontal aiming line. Much better pattern, much better in snow, and speed limit signs no longer burn my eyes from the white light.

Do you have a part number for those fog lights?
You have the horizontal adjusters for your head lights? Or no?

BobNH

Do you have a part number for those fog lights?
You have the horizontal adjusters for your head lights? Or no?

NOK7626, bur if it matters mine is a 2008 Rubicon.
As to adjusters, I slotted my studs for horizontal adjustment, but to aim lower just use the already supplied vertical adjusters to go above or below the horizontal alignment line.
However, I do recommend horizontal adjustment to bring them in from weeds or from oncoming cars. But the aim height (vertical) is most likely causing the worst of it. Srill, white light in rain, snow, etc is still sucky.

LasVegasJK

NOK7626, bur if it matters mine is a 2008 Rubicon.
As to adjusters, I slotted my studs for horizontal adjustment, but to aim lower just use the already supplied vertical adjusters to go above or below the horizontal alignment line.
However, I do recommend horizontal adjustment to bring them in from weeds or from oncoming cars. But the aim height (vertical) is most likely causing the worst of it. Srill, white light in rain, snow, etc is still sucky.

Thank you!

BobNH

Thank you!

Np. The bulbs were simple to install, just had to reach up and over the plastic air dam thing to get to them.
Good luck. Mine are nowhere near headlight power, but if its really bad they work nearly as good as regular headlights. They have higher wattage ones available, but I didn't want to get into relays and all that sort of crap.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Have to say guys I’ve raced off-road for a long time and we would turn the amber lights on when it was really dusty amazing how well they work.

Top Bottom