Dropping AX-15 trans to replace internal slave cylinder

Mr.Mopar

Hey guys,
I'm new here to the WAYALIFE community and the Jeep community all together but a friend of mine is giving me his '91 XJ and I'll need to replace the internal slave cylinder. Ive done countless hours of research in the past couple days to make sure I do it right but I wanted to ask you guys if you had any tips and tricks that will make dropping the trans to get this done just that much simpler. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my LGMS210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. If you're doing it on the ground, jack up the vehicle as high as possible ahead of time. Removing transmissions on the ground sucks but for most of us, that's the only option. Also, any bolts for exhaust/crossmember/etc that have rust, spray them a few hours ahead of time with penetrating oil.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the tips! Ive done clutch jobs and engine swaps before but have never done it on a RWD vehicle before so this'll be fun lol

RWD is way easier than FWD or 4x4 IMO. No subframe, no CV axles, don't have to support engine, etc. On RWD, no Tcase weight to deal with either.

tdougherty81

Hey guys,
I'm new here to the WAYALIFE community and the Jeep community all together but a friend of mine is giving me his '91 XJ and I'll need to replace the internal slave cylinder. Ive done countless hours of research in the past couple days to make sure I do it right but I wanted to ask you guys if you had any tips and tricks that will make dropping the trans to get this done just that much simpler. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I did my brother in-laws XJ. My only suggestion is buy quality parts, he went the cheap route on the slave. We got everything button up, bled the system and everything felt good. Took it for a test drive and bam clutch peddle to the floor. Fluid coming out the bell housing. So that was a few hours wasted and had to pull the trans again to get to the slave. 2nd time around we went with a Timken slave and had no issues.

Mr.Mopar

I did my brother in-laws XJ. My only suggestion is buy quality parts, he went the cheap route on the slave. We got everything button up, bled the system and everything felt good. Took it for a test drive and bam clutch peddle to the floor. Fluid coming out the bell housing. So that was a few hours wasted and had to pull the trans again to get to the slave. 2nd time around we went with a Timken slave and had no issues.
Also a good point. Ive learned my lesson on buying cheap. Never again

Top Bottom