Jeep runs perfect at 75MPH, a little vibration at 80, questions...

jorgelrod

Hooked
I've been running the Jeep here in florida for the past few weeks at 70-75 miles an hour on the freeway and he rides like a champ, last weekend I made a run down to Orlando and a couple of times sped up to 80 and I would feel a bit of vibration. Could this be something driveshaft related maybe or pinion angle needing a bit more adjusting? I just want to know where I should look, I honestly don't spend a lot of time driving at 80MPH but I would think I that being able to run nicely at 75, 80 should be about the same.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I had a vibration I swore was a driveshaft at 68-75. Ended up being a tire issue.. if you just noticed this for the first time I'd try and get them balanced and see if that makes a difference, cheapest first step also... I know some people have to get their tires road force balanced to solve issues like this also.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the vibration oscillate or is it constant? Can you feel it in the seat of your pants like a buzzing or is it more something you feel in the steering wheel? Can you hear it?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Does the vibration oscillate or is it constant? Can you feel it in the seat of your pants like a buzzing or is it more something you feel in the steering wheel? Can you hear it?

Steering wheel feels good, it's more of a seat of the pants like the car is starting to vibrate but nothing jarring like a death wobble

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Steering wheel feels good, it's more of a seat of the pants like the car is starting to vibrate but nothing jarring like a death wobble

Okay but, can you hear it? Is the vibration fast like a tight buzzing or a tad slower so that it's kind of a really fast shimmy?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Okay, that helps. More than likely, you have a wheel our wheels out of balance.

Ok, I'll check, maybe I've los a weight or two. 35's on factory wheels were a hassle to balance, they had a ton of weights put on, probably lost one or two wheeling in mud.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'll check, maybe I've los a weight or two. 35's on factory wheels were a hassle to balance, they had a ton of weights put on, probably lost one or two wheeling in mud.

If you have access to a shop that has road force balancing, I would go with that. Also, ask to have tape weights installed if you don't have them already. Big off road tires can be difficult to balance regardless and I've always found that on some tires, it can take 2-3 tries to get it right.

fiend

Caught the Bug

See if you have any dried mud on the inside of your wheels. I’ve had that before and it can put the wheel out of balance.

jorgelrod

Hooked
See if you have any dried mud on the inside of your wheels. I’ve had that before and it can put the wheel out of balance.

No, it's not mud, The jeep had to be professionally washed for USDA inspection to transport from Puerto Rico into Florida, I can see that a few weights from the weight belt on two of the tires fell off, gonna have to have them rebalanced

Brute

Hooked
Sometimes it's good to have enough oomph to pass the 3 RV's towing cars doing 50 in an 80 zone...and I was amazed to see my 1st 80 mph sign in Idaho a few years ago...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Definitely one tire was out of balance, it had lost a few weights from the tape. Had it rebalanced and the drive down to Orlando today was serene

Top Bottom