Defrost light blinking, A/C taking long time to start HVAC control Unit replacement

jorgelrod

Hooked
So my A/C unit most of the time when I start the car takes about 30 seconds to a minute with the defrost light blinking while it runs it's calibration, I also sometimes with the car off hear vents opening and closing(which make me think that might be what drains my battery within two to three days without the car being used. I reasd on a thread of the internet that it might be a faulty AC control unit. I've seen this on ebay or other sites for $75-90. question is does anyone know if this is a difficult replacement? I might try it if it's a simple swap and not an elaborate taking half the dashboard out thing. Has anyone done this?

Wethy

So my A/C unit most of the time when I start the car takes about 30 seconds to a minute with the defrost light blinking while it runs it's calibration, I also sometimes with the car off hear vents opening and closing(which make me think that might be what drains my battery within two to three days without the car being used. I reasd on a thread of the internet that it might be a faulty AC control unit. I've seen this on ebay or other sites for $75-90. question is does anyone know if this is a difficult replacement? I might try it if it's a simple swap and not an elaborate taking half the dashboard out thing. Has anyone done this?
I have the same issue. I have read the same as you. But you have to make sire you get the correct unit to replace it. Otherwise pulling the dash os very easy only like 6 bolts. And the whole drivers side/centre console pops off. Then its just a matter of pulling the lower dash piece out and getting the bolts. Getting the dash off can be done in about 5-10 minutes. There are a few good videos on youtube that show removing the dash

https://youtu.be/HTz1U6CiPlE

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cory s

This made me question is my hvac startup time is normal? When i start the Jeep the ac light blinks for about 45 seconds til anything hvac related starts working. I felt it takes a while but though maybe that normal for the jk? Mines a 14

houstonjeepdude

I have a 2014 and that same thing happened to me. Took it to the dealership and had it fixed under warranty. Year later, it started happing again. Out of warranty and gave up trying to talk to service writer. Hope you have better luck.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
I think this has been a problem with the 14s. Mine has been doing the same thing for some time. Mine takes about 10-30 seconds for my ac to start up. I recently changed one of the sensors 2 weekends ago hoping it would fix the problem, but sadly did not. Id have to look at my sheet to see which one it was.
Jeepdude, do you have a copy of the paper or know which sensor it was that they changed out on yours?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Mine does it a lot of the time, I found it annoying when getting into the car in Puerto Rico hot weather and it sure is getting annoying in the cold as well.

mastrcruse

Blinking indicates an issue with the HVAC control unit. My 2014 is on its 3rd control unit and its been working great for the last 1.5. I'd get it into the dealership if still under warranty.

As mentioned by others...mine is a 2014 also.

Wethy

Apparently what happens is the unit itself "loses its calibration" because a resistor/diode/capicitor has failed, so ive been told. And in order to fix it the whole hvac unit has to be swapped..... seems dumb..... maybe its time for a recall.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep066

I had the same issue, it ended up being a bad sensor on the rear glass. It did take the local Jeep dealership way to log to figure this out, but they replaced the sensor w/o having to replace the rear glass. Haven't had the issue since.

JeepJeep75

I had the same issue, it ended up being a bad sensor on the rear glass. It did take the local Jeep dealership way to log to figure this out, but they replaced the sensor w/o having to replace the rear glass. Haven't had the issue since.

Pretty sure there isn’t a “sensor” on the rear glass. Are you maybe talking about the connection of the wire to the glass?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom