Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I'm in the same camp as you on this. On balance, I believe the BLM does a pretty damn good job and I shudder at the thought of federal public lands in Nevada becoming truly state owned land.
    It's gotta be a tough job for them and in places like Moab, they've gotten militant enough to piss me off but I'd rather deal with that than to not have access at all. Here in Nevada, I think they're doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the land was BLM prior to becoming a National Monument. If what's going on in Utah is anything like the Gold Buttes here in Nevada, it would go back to the BLM. That would be the feds.
    I'd be okay with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    So who has jurisdiction over the lands that are no longer Monument Land in Utah?...the State of Utah, or the federal govt?
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the land was BLM prior to becoming a National Monument. If what's going on in Utah is anything like the Gold Buttes here in Nevada, it would go back to the BLM. That would be the feds.
    The Grand Staircase-Escalante Monument was/is still under administration by the BLM. When it was identified as a monument the BLM administered it differently than had it remained"open". I'm sure the lands which will be removed from the Monument boundry will be administered as the lands currently are adjacent to the old boundry. That is how the Santa Rosa Monument is administered her in the San Jacinto mountains. As for the Bears Ears I believe it was jointly administered by the USFS and BLM. The USFS was the lead agency though. I have not seen any press releases from either agency with regards to the reduction of these areas.

Here's my take on it. I work as a forester and manage both public and private land for a variety of things such as timber, wildlife habitat, reducing wildland fuels and even aesthetics. (side note: my wife works for NPS so I have some of the inside scoop) Not a tree hugger but I am an advocate for and take pride in responsible land management. In the past I have also worked as an environmental tech/wetland delineator on natural gas projects. That being said, I have insight into both worlds. For as much lip service the gas and mining industry gives to environmental responsibility, I have yet to see it backed up with action. The almighty dollar reigns supreme over any environmental consideration and the result will ultimately be left on us, the tax payers, in the form of environmental remediation (i.e. Superfund and Brownfield sites) and negatively impacted water supplies. It appears to me that current administration (whether you love 'em or hate 'em - don't care) has done this reduction to remove the environmental and cultural protections afforded by Monument designation to achieve what Eddie mentioned previously about livestock, cater to special interest groups and greater public access but to also allow for streamlined gas exploration and extraction permitting. Ultimately the resource - whether cultural or environmental - will fall victim to adverse use and all of us will be left holding the bill.

Another side note: I was called out on social media by a self proclaimed "OHV access advocate" because my take on this issue didn't fall in line with the more "extreme right" stance on the issue he was supporting. He also seemed to think Jeeps and OHVs were something only conservatives were interested in... some people are too naive for their own good.

edit: sorry for resurrecting a somewhat old post, thought i'd throw my $0.02 in.
    2014 - JKU - 6 sp

Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

If your interested and it sounds like you are.

Give episode 105 of the meateater podcast a listen. House Natural Resource Committee Chairman Rob Bishop gets interviewed and talks with Steve Rinella about this. Worth a listen...
    en hopup veritas

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayTrout View Post
    If your interested and it sounds like you are.

Give episode 105 of the meateater podcast a listen. House Natural Resource Committee Chairman Rob Bishop gets interviewed and talks with Steve Rinella about this. Worth a listen...
    Will do, thanks. I've read Rinella's book a while back and came to appreciate his point of view.
    2014 - JKU - 6 sp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234