Problem with Yeti drag Link. Input needed or new drag link recomendations.

stzd8

Hello all,

This is my first post here, since Wranglerforum.com seems not to use these drag links a lot. I have a 2013 2 door rubicon. It has a 2.5 lift kit from AEV, with Fox adjustable SS, 285/70/17 tires and Yeti tie rods and drag links.

Drag Links are setup same way as factory, not flipped. After first install, the following weeks the boot on the pitman arm side teared up. I have not done any rough driving, Just daily drive. Replaced the boot and couple months again it tears up. I decided to get new end link to see if it was the problem but it happens again. I wrote to SteerSmarts for a while and they claim that I am the only one with this issue. I made it clear, I am not trying to get freebies or anything just want to get this fixed.

They stopped replying after my 4th boot change. Have any of you guys had any issues with this pitman side boot regardless the drag link brand? I am considering going for another drag link, want to make sure is the kind that you put in and forget about it. I don't do off roading just daily drive.

Apologize for the long boring story,

alank

20171203_182631.jpg

20171203_182743.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

This is my first post here, since Wranglerforum.com seems not to use these drag links a lot. I have a 2013 2 door rubicon. It has a 2.5 lift kit from AEV, with Fox adjustable SS, 285/70/17 tires and Yeti tie rods and drag links.

Drag Links are setup same way as factory, not flipped. After first install, the following weeks the boot on the pitman arm side teared up. I have not done any rough driving, Just daily drive. Replaced the boot and couple months again it tears up. I decided to get new end link to see if it was the problem but it happens again. I wrote to SteerSmarts for a while and they claim that I am the only one with this issue. I made it clear, I am not trying to get freebies or anything just want to get this fixed.

They stopped replying after my 4th boot change. Have any of you guys had any issues with this pitman side boot regardless the drag link brand? I am considering going for another drag link, want to make sure is the kind that you put in and forget about it. I don't do off roading just daily drive.

alank

Was it really necessary for you to say that you would have rather asked your question on a competing forum? Because, unlike them, a forum owned by a multi-million dollar corporation, this one is owned by my wife Cindy and I. If it's not too much to ask, we'd be grateful if you could show us a little respect in the future.

With that said, it would be helpful to see a front end shot of your suspension as mentioned.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Say what other drag links can any of you recomend?

I still run the factory draglink and it's gotten the job done well for me.

main.php

BaddestCross

It's catching on something. I've got the same issue on my setup and I'm running a Currie. I haven't had time to figure out what it caught on, but it's not an issue of the drag link itself. Have a buddy cycle the steering while you're underneath watching to see what gets close to it during travel.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

mattfl

Hello all,

alank

View attachment 284916

View attachment 284917

That is for sure catching on something and tearing the boot. I run their draglink with 0 issues.

stzd8

my apologies,

Was it really necessary for you to say that you would have rather asked your question on a competing forum? Because, unlike them, a forum owned by a multi-million dollar corporation, this one is owned by my wife Cindy and I. If it's not too much to ask, we'd be grateful if you could show us a little respect in the future.

With that said, it would be helpful to see a front end shot of your suspension as mentioned.

I truly apologize for that brain fart. I was so focused on my own issue that I didn't clearly think while posting, I was not my intention to drive the attention or advertise other places.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is for sure catching on something and tearing the boot. I run their draglink with 0 issues.

It's a shame they're so arrogant and have conducted them so poorly here on WAYALIFE. Because of it, I could never recommend them.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE

I truly apologize for that brain fart. I was so focused on my own issue that I didn't clearly think while posting, I was not my intention to drive the attention or advertise other places.

It's all good, I appreciate your understanding.

stzd8

can I still drive it the way it is in the meantime?

Can I still drive it like that til next year? I am planning maybe January I may have more info on whether just get another Drag Link end or just get a new drag link.

Thanks,

WJCO

Meme King
Can I still drive it like that til next year? I am planning maybe January I may have more info on whether just get another Drag Link end or just get a new drag link.

Thanks,

The boot just keeps dirt out of the joint. It won't be an issue until the joint has play. You'll start getting a steering wheel shimmy when that happens. You should be able to drive on it for a little bit, just keep an eye on it. But you still need to find out what's causing the issue.

stzd8

some pic of the bars underneath.

20171205_153300.jpg

20171205_153106.jpg

20171205_153151.jpg

20171205_153205.jpg

Hope that shows the angle of the drag link parallel to the track bar. I live in Panama, so getting things for the JK takes more time so I try to do as much research I can before buying online.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hope that shows the angle of the drag link parallel to the track bar. I live in Panama, so getting things for the JK takes more time so I try to do as much research I can before buying online.

Yeah, the angle of your steering components don't look to bad. Is there any chance that the boot is getting pinched on the pitman arm? The top of it should be free of the pitman arm so that as you steer, the boot does NOT twist with it. If it is, I could see how over time this would tear the boot.

stzd8

Yeah, the angle of your steering components don't look to bad. Is there any chance that the boot is getting pinched on the pitman arm? The top of it should be free of the pitman arm so that as you steer, the boot does NOT twist with it. If it is, I could see how over time this would tear the boot.

actually when we look at it, the boot does twists when I turn. But the ball joint is installed right as far I can see. With my stock it never tore. I regret getting rid of the stock one.

I did put grease on the lip of the boot to see if it helped but as you can see it didnt matter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
actually when we look at it, the boot does twists when I turn. But the ball joint is installed right as far I can see. With my stock it never tore. I regret getting rid of the stock one.

I did put grease on the lip of the boot to see if it helped but as you can see it didnt matter.

Well, sounds like that's what's causing it to tear. I wonder if there was a way to pull the boot down a bit from the top so that it doesn't get pinched so hard in between the pitman arm.

stzd8

Well, sounds like that's what's causing it to tear. I wonder if there was a way to pull the boot down a bit from the top so that it doesn't get pinched so hard in between the pitman arm.

We did try using a washer between the pitman and the boot to buffer out some of the stress, but that time didn't work. I am surprised I don't hear a lot of people having issues on the pitman ball joint. Would I need a drop pitman?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We did try using a washer between the pitman and the boot to buffer out some of the stress, but that time didn't work. I am surprised I don't hear a lot of people having issues on the pitman ball joint. Would I need a drop pitman?

NO, you do NOT want a dropped pitman arm. That won't fix anything and unless you install a track bar relocation bracket at the same time, you would have handling issues.

Top Bottom