Advice on lift

brittanymeaghan

Alright I’m sure this has been asked before but I’m just wondering about sizing and how much of a lift I need to go with.
Just scooped up some new 295/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Got them for a steal, basically bought 4 and got the 5th free plus about $50 to spare.
Now I’m unsure about how they’re going to fit. I plan on upgrading wheels, or maybe keeping my stock rims for a little while.
However, has anyone installed this size without lifting? I’m sure it’s going to rub, but how bad. Will I be able to make it a couple months without lifting it? I literally drive it only on the street back and forth to work in the winter.
Or is it going to be too tight and end up causing some damage?
Any recommendations as to where to go from here since I still have my options only, tires are the only things I’ve actually bought so far...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you can run your new tires on your factory wheels IF you run 1.5" wheel spacers. That'll take care of rubbing at a full turn and push the rear sidewalls further away from the sway bar links. Second, while you might be able to run them without a lift, I would highly advise you trim your fenders to do it. That'll open things up enough to make it doable. OR, a better solution would be to run a leveling kit or even coil spacers. That'll be your best bet and it'll be cheap to do. Last but not least, you will NEED to calibrate your speedometer especially if you have an automatic.

GraniteCrystal

You can put them on. They'll rub. Don't think you'll damage anything. Especially if you just don't crank the steering wheel all the way. You'll be fine for a couple months before it starts bugging you.

WJCO

Meme King
We ran 285/70R17 on ours with no lift and trimmed fenders for about a year with no rubbing. 285s are about 1/4" shorter radius than the 295s. But this was with 4.75 backspaced rims which is equivalent to the 1.5 spacers that Eddie mentioned if you retain your factory wheels. Never rubbed at all, even offroad.

GraniteCrystal

Personal opinion: don't bother with a budget boost or coil spacers. Not worth the time and effort if you know you're going to do a lift. Just go straight to the lift.

brittanymeaghan

Definitely not going to waste any $ on a budget or cheap lift. I’ll wait until I can do a full blown lift. However I wasn’t sure if I’d even fit the 295’s without a little bit of a lift. I’ll definitely chop the fenders. What kind of backspacing do I need to be looking at in a wheel?

WJCO

Meme King
Definitely not going to waste any $ on a budget or cheap lift. I’ll wait until I can do a full blown lift. However I wasn’t sure if I’d even fit the 295’s without a little bit of a lift. I’ll definitely chop the fenders. What kind of backspacing do I need to be looking at in a wheel?

If you're going to be running this tire size for awhile, I wouldn't recommend a full blown lift. Save your money and enjoy the Jeep. A rim with 4.75 backspacing is nearly identical to 1.5 inch spacers behind a factory wheel.

EDIT: This is nearly the same combo you'll be running with the spacers. This picture is with NO LIFT. If you trim the fenders, you will have plenty of room. These are 285s (like said, your tires will have 1/4" more tread at 295). Then you don't have to worry about driveshaft, control arms, etc.

DSC04112.jpg

Last edited:

brittanymeaghan

If you're going to be running this tire size for awhile, I wouldn't recommend a full blown lift. Save your money and enjoy the Jeep. A rim with 4.75 backspacing is nearly identical to 1.5 inch spacers behind a factory wheel.

I think that’s what I’ll do. I’m going to run it a a while without a lift. Then if I’m not happy with the looks I’ll do the lift later, maybe something small like 1-2 inches. We’ll see how it looks.
Thanks so much for all your help and input! :)

GraniteWilly

I think that’s what I’ll do. I’m going to run it a a while without a lift. Then if I’m not happy with the looks I’ll do the lift later, maybe something small like 1-2 inches. We’ll see how it looks.
Thanks so much for all your help and input! :)

I just got done throwing on some STT Pros in 295/70R17. I am using wheel spacers with a 2” lift, just so you have an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 176

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Showing you pics cause I can!

295/70/17's. Coil spacers are a very inexpensive option and had worked well for me on my 2 door like yours. I have on order a set of EVO 2" coils from their leveling kit for front.
Several will tell you they ride nice. WJCO has 'em. I will see and am excited about those. I have Fox shocks I am rebuilding for the front and will leave a 2" spacer in the rear, Fox shocks and 59 coils off a 4 door for now.

The first two are with a 1" spacer in the rear...the last two are with a 2" spacer.

View attachment 285143

View attachment 285144

View attachment 285145

View attachment 285146

View attachment 285147

brittanymeaghan

Showing you pics cause I can!

295/70/17's. Coil spacers are a very inexpensive option and had worked well for me on my 2 door like yours. I have on order a set of EVO 2" coils from their leveling kit for front.
Several will tell you they ride nice. WJCO has 'em. I will see and am excited about those. I have Fox shocks I am rebuilding for the front and will leave a 2" spacer in the rear, Fox shocks and 59 coils off a 4 door for now.

The first two are with a 1" spacer in the rear...the last two are with a 2" spacer.

View attachment 285143

View attachment 285144

View attachment 285145

View attachment 285146

View attachment 285147

Thanks for sharing but all the attachments are broken [emoji24] but I definitely plan on lifting it an the months to come. Wheels and tires alone are a little spendy so I’ve gotta recover from that first then throw a lift at it. After lots of research and asking you guys a billion questions I think if I get the right wheels and chop the fenders I’ll be fine for a while until I’m ready to throw a lift on [emoji51]

GraniteCrystal

Also keep an eye out for a used Evo leveling kit. Pretty easy to swap out the front springs and that'll take the rake out of the Jeep.

Top Bottom