2wd to 4wd

93xj2wd

New here. Does any one have links to good 2wd to 4wd conversion videos/pdf even. I really just want as much info as possible before i decide i want to or not.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
New here. Does any one have links to good 2wd to 4wd conversion videos/pdf even. I really just want as much info as possible before i decide i want to or not.

Sorry. I don't know if there are even any good ones for a modern JK let alone an older XJ.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve seen one done, he parted out a second XJ for the front axle ,driveshaft, and transfer case. It’s been awhile, and I can’t remember how he brought the selector up into the cab.

I’m sure there’s a lot more to it than that, but they were a lot simpler to work on than the JKs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FallonJeeper

Heard this conversation a million times. Usually two flavors.

Flavor 1. Buy a 6 cylinder Mustang and convert it to a V8.

Flavor 2. Buy a 2wd and convert it to a 4wd.

Unless you have a spare parts car, fab skills, a bunch of extra time and money, as stated above buy what you want and sell what you have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mizippi

I bought a 2wd JK because I knew I was going to 1 tons and an atlas. It could save you money under the right conditions

2007 2WD (upgrades: Hemi, Atlas, 1 Tons, 40s, etc)

DaJudge

Just Google XJ 2wd to 4wd. There are a bunch of right-ups including one from fourwheeler magazine.

You will need:
Front axle
Front Driveshaft
Rear Driveshaft
Transfercase
Transmission (or tailbone and shaft depending on which one you have)
Shifter
If you want it to be pretty you will need a 4wd console
Probably missing some odds and ends

Clifford98

I never did a write up on it but I’ve done it twice now it’s very easy to do. You need a compatible transmission, a transfer case, front axle, front and rear driveshafts, and a shift lever then it’s best to just order a linkage from someone like boostworks

Basically unbolt the dummy axle and bolt in the new axle drop the trans and reinstall new trans and transfer case and install driveshafts then the floor already has the hole for the shifter there’s just a plate over it so take that off and bolt in the shifter and hook up the linkage and the console has the spot already it just has a cover as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom