Yj track bar removal LEAF SPRING

Oreo_penguin536

I’ve read everywhere online that on the yjs you can remove the track bar. The supposed thinking behind this is that the track bar binds with the leaf springs when it flexes and that the leaf spring will hold the axle in place and do the job of a track bar because they are set up to only move up and down not side to side. I’ve messaged multiple people on this and gotten a variety of answer so I thought I’d throw up a thread. Does anyone have any more info on this?

No offense to anyone I’ve messaged just curious of more answers of people

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that YJ's have leaf springs, yes, you could remove your sway bar and you'd be fine. Older CJ's didn't even come with one. That being said, having one can be nice to have especially when doing sudden maneuvers as it'll still help give you stability.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I removed both of mine and had zero issues. I also ended up removing my front sway bar completely. There was a little more roll but I never felt unstable. Just be cautious if you go that route. I used my 95 YJ on 35s for a DD for about a year.

Oreo_penguin536

If I put discos and remove the trailer ack bars I’ll be fine though? How does that help flex at all exactly? I get the front sway bar removal but the track bar doesn’t make sense to mr

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
If I put discos and remove the trailer ack bars I’ll be fine though? How does that help flex at all exactly? I get the front sway bar removal but the track bar doesn’t make sense to mr

I think jeep installed them when they came out with the YJ along with wider axles to help out with the overall stability of the jeep compared to previous model, the CJ. I have a build thread on here called "Secondhand YJ" where I think I have a before and after flex shot with the track bars removed. The springs were so stiff that it didn't flex very much. I just didn't see the need for them. But once I got the jeep out on the trail, the jeep flexed way more than I though and I rubbed my fenders with 33's and a 4" lift. But to answer your question, you will be fine without track bars.

Top Bottom