Moving to Maryland - is it Jeep hell?

ChiliDawg

So I am having a bit of a bittersweet career moment in getting a great opportunity back East but definitely going to miss Nevada and all my Jeep buddies out here. Sometimes career has to come first. I’m curious how many wayalifers are in the crab cake state and if there’s any wheeling anywhere. Obviously it won’t be like Nevada, but, looking for small consolations.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
So I am having a bit of a bittersweet career moment in getting a great opportunity back East but definitely going to miss Nevada and all my Jeep buddies out here. Sometimes career has to come first. I’m curious how many wayalifers are in the crab cake state and if there’s any wheeling anywhere. Obviously it won’t be like Nevada, but, looking for small consolations.

Congrats on the new Job man, that’s awesome. Best of luck to you! Can’t offer much to your question but when I lived in coastal VA there wasn’t a ton unless you headed way into certain areas of the country side (which I never really did) but depending on where your at I know WV has some decent wheeling in parts and that’s not to far away. There also seems to be a decent contingent of WALers in PA which isn’t to far away either.

ChiliDawg

Congrats on the new Job man, that’s awesome. Best of luck to you! Can’t offer much to your question but when I lived in coastal VA there wasn’t a ton unless you headed way into certain areas of the country side (which I never really did) but depending on where your at I know WV has some decent wheeling in parts and that’s not to far away. There also seems to be a decent contingent of WALers in PA which isn’t to far away either.

Thanks man. At first glance it looks like I’m going to have to do something about fender flares. Boooooo.

Oreo_penguin536

Wait they have bumper height restrictions and flare restrictions[emoji15][emoji15] never heard of that sort of shittery. Except for maybe California. They’d pull something like that I bet

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry, I can't answer for Virginia, but Rausch Creek is only 2 hours from Baltimore. There's usually around 3 runs a year that Cozdude organizes. Those are definitely worth the trip. As far as fender laws and bumper heights go I've always found enforcement to be subjective. There are so many modded vehicles running around these days and I've never seen any of them pulled over unless they're being stupid. Honestly I'd take my chances at first and see how it goes. Hell, don't be afraid to ask some of the local officers if they have problems with your Jeep. Unless they're one of those hardcore knuckleheads they'll give it to you straight. From all of the ones I've talked to, most will tell you they have more important shit to worry about unless you're driving like some kind of idiot and asking to be pulled over.

Amrth

Might not be a bad idea. I’ll be working on the South side of Baltimore so Virginia might be an option lol

DC or Northern VA would be the closet you could live off.. but both of these areas are very expensive in terms of housing. I'm not sure of the Laws in MD but I hear they have some crazy inspections standards...

In VA the only problem is yearly tax on your vehicle. which is like :eek: yearly inspections another yikes.. then you have the fender law.. Need to have marker lights if you have tire sticking out too much and I suppose no beadlocks on street machines..

For sure when I used to work in Baltimore, the number of modded Jeeps were quite less compared to where I'm now. Rarely used to see a couple in months..

ChiliDawg

Sorry, I can't answer for Virginia, but Rausch Creek is only 2 hours from Baltimore. There's usually around 3 runs a year that Cozdude organizes. Those are definitely worth the trip. As far as fender laws and bumper heights go I've always found enforcement to be subjective. There are so many modded vehicles running around these days and I've never seen any of them pulled over unless they're being stupid. Honestly I'd take my chances at first and see how it goes. Hell, don't be afraid to ask some of the local officers if they have problems with your Jeep. Unless they're one of those hardcore knuckleheads they'll give it to you straight. From all of the ones I've talked to, most will tell you they have more important shit to worry about unless you're driving like some kind of idiot and asking to be pulled over.

Thanks! Good to know coz is in the area. I have a buddy who just moved away from the area and he had a Jeep and said he still has connections with people that will pass my Jeep on inspection. So I may luck out there.

ChiliDawg

DC or Northern VA would be the closet you could live off.. but both of these areas are very expensive in terms of housing. I'm not sure of the Laws in MD but I hear they have some crazy inspections standards...

In VA the only problem is yearly tax on your vehicle. which is like :eek: yearly inspections another yikes.. then you have the fender law.. Need to have marker lights if you have tire sticking out too much and I suppose no beadlocks on street machines..

For sure when I used to work in Baltimore, the number of modded Jeeps were quite less compared to where I'm now. Rarely used to see a couple in months..

Yeah I briefly considered looking for a place outside of Maryland but abandoned that pretty quick. Someone also told me Virginia is worse than Maryland about the vehicle regulations.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks! Good to know coz is in the area. I have a buddy who just moved away from the area and he had a Jeep and said he still has connections with people that will pass my Jeep on inspection. So I may luck out there.

That's half the battle right there - finding a good shop that is willing to work with you. Good luck on the move - sounds like a great opportunity :thumb:

Maineiac

I've always followed the "better to ask forgiveness than for permission".. I've found law enforcement never gave a crap about vehicles unless you did something stupid ( hop a curb to get around the guy not turning on arrow, doing 4wd burnouts when the light turns green) .. I only got 1 ticket due to vehicle mods .. but it was after I knocked a light pole down from driving like an idiot.. 42" tires sticking out pretty far on my pickup truck in Boston.. hardest thing was finding a sticker guy to put sticker on.. other than that no issues in an area with not many modded vehicles (unless you count all the civics with cherry bombs lol)

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Amrth

Yeah I briefly considered looking for a place outside of Maryland but abandoned that pretty quick. Someone also told me Virginia is worse than Maryland about the vehicle regulations.

Yeah both the states are sometimes in par with the inspections!

Try housings at Ellicot City, thats a good place.. I'm sure you will love the countrysides of MD, they are absolutely beautiful!

We usually have to travel a minimum of 4 hrs to get to a decent trial..

Ixion

Hey buddy

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Look me up when you get here.

Yeah, MD is effectively Jeep hell. There are some back wood places locals in the rural counties go and ride through, but there's only a couple official spots to wheel and they aren't really like Rausch Creek.

Rausch Creek is like 2.5 hours away. AOAA is about 3. Big Dogs is almost 3. There's a state park in VA that you can get a badge at that's about 3 hours away.

We have a lot of clubs here too. I started an interest group to differentiate what we're trying to do from the clubs. Once you get involved with the clubs here, you'll see why an interest group though way smaller, is having a better time with less drama.

WJCO

Meme King
We have a lot of clubs here too. I started an interest group to differentiate what we're trying to do from the clubs. Once you get involved with the clubs here, you'll see why an interest group though way smaller, is having a better time with less drama.

You may want to re-visit the rules. Solicitation of members is a violation of the rules.

GraniteCrystal

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Look me up when you get here.

Yeah, MD is effectively Jeep hell. There are some back wood places locals in the rural counties go and ride through, but there's only a couple official spots to wheel and they aren't really like Rausch Creek.

Rausch Creek is like 2.5 hours away. AOAA is about 3. Big Dogs is almost 3. There's a state park in VA that you can get a badge at that's about 3 hours away.

Is that the JK forum logo as your profile image?

Top Bottom