Scott's 2 car garage build

GraniteCrystal

We're starting to move thru the process of buying a home. The one we're buying has a 2 car garage so I'll need to really optimize the space (was hoping for 3 car garage).

Build will be similar to my JK:
-quality and functional
-nothing too crazy
-most of it DIY
-maximize space

Here are some desired features I've thought of so far:
Good organization of paint, and fluids
Fold up bench or two against the side walls
Permanent bench in the back?
Garden tools along one side
Hard top hoist
Door storage using factory hinges
Freedom top storage. Next to hard top on ceiling?
Really good lighting
Really good heaters
Materials storage
Jack stand storage
Old jeep parts storage
Huge pegboard
Place for all the little tools. Pliers, hammers
Fold down paint booth
Two racks to hang an elk from

Not my garage but looks a lot like this with exposed framing.
interior_2_car_garage-2.jpeg

Please feel free to post up additional ideas and pics to help the brainstorming.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The ace door hangers are great!

Harken hoist for the top is a must. It’s safe, especially if you hang it above the scrambler.

If you can epoxy the floor first before everything else is installed. No more oil stains!

I love having my most used tools in a rolling draw system. I left an opening under my bench where it slides right in and when I’m working on a Jeep I bring it to where I’m at instead of going back and forth.

Compressor, can’t remember if I saw that on your list.

If you can, get a small shed out back for the garden tools, mower, etc. keeps the garage a lot cleaner and you don’t have the smell of the two cycle equipment

Congrats on the new house!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

The ace door hangers are great!

Harken hoist for the top is a must. It’s safe, especially if you hang it above the scrambler.

If you can epoxy the floor first before everything else is installed. No more oil stains!

I love having my most used tools in a rolling draw system. I left an opening under my bench where it slides right in and when I’m working on a Jeep I bring it to where I’m at instead of going back and forth.

Compressor, can’t remember if I saw that on your list.

If you can, get a small shed out back for the garden tools, mower, etc. keeps the garage a lot cleaner and you don’t have the smell of the two cycle equipment

Congrats on the new house!!

Already have an ARB dual in the Jeep. Need for a larger one of I don't have air tools?

Floor in the garage is purposefully slanted towards the drain in the middle. Any tips on using jack stands on a slight slant like that?

And yeah, thinking an outdoor shed for garden tools would be nice to have.

Brute

Hooked
We're starting to move thru the process of buying a home. The one we're buying has a 2 car garage so I'll need to really optimize the space (was hoping for 3 car garage).

Build will be similar to my JK:
-quality and functional
-nothing too crazy
-most of it DIY
-maximize space

Here are some desired features I've thought of so far:
Good organization of paint, and fluids
Fold up bench or two against the side walls
Permanent bench in the back?
Garden tools along one side
Hard top hoist
Door storage using factory hinges
Freedom top storage. Next to hard top on ceiling?
Really good lighting
Really good heaters
Materials storage
Jack stand storage
Old jeep parts storage
Huge pegboard
Place for all the little tools. Pliers, hammers
Fold down paint booth
Two racks to hang an elk from

Not my garage but looks a lot like this with exposed framing.
View attachment 285462

Please feel free to post up additional ideas and pics to help the brainstorming.

Look at Eddie's garage...and copy it

wjtstudios

Hooked
Already have an ARB dual in the Jeep. Need for a larger one of I don't have air tools?

Floor in the garage is purposefully slanted towards the drain in the middle. Any tips on using jack stands on a slight slant like that?

And yeah, thinking an outdoor shed for garden tools would be nice to have.

A little slope on the stands is fine. Just chalk the tires that are on the ground. If it’s more severe, you could make a ply wood base to go under the tall side jack stand to level it back off. But use plywood, not osb. It’s stronger

wjtstudios

Hooked
My twin couldn’t drive my impact gun to a high enough toque to break flange nuts on the drive shafts or axle shafts. Even my Milwaukee didn’t have the balls for the really heavy stuff. So I picked up a 20 gallon 150 psi for $150. I wish I would have done it sooner.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I try to keep things modular, adjustable easy to move around... 70% of my stuff on the ground can roll out... 16” Deep 3/4 Plywood box uppers with adjustable 3/4 plywood shelves... lower bench section with a vise is stout... but simple work benches I 45’d the legs to the wall to keep it open underneath where I can store a rollaway, a cart or other items on wheels or not. I plan on building a steel table on wheels that will double as a work bench or roll out as a welding table. Rubbermaid also makes an adjustable rack system with various hook styles for hanging items high or low.... In small spaces you gotta keep it tight and get creative. I actually drew elevations of each wall and a floor plan to map out all my main items to scale so I could build it once. Good luck! Fun Stuff.

Brute

Hooked
80" flat screen, fireplace, wet bar, 60's Fender Twin Reverb, keg with tap, dart board, oh and some tools...

GraniteCrystal

I’ve dreamed about having one of these in the garage.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/mds-6kf.aspx

6000 pounds sounds pretty close to what a JK could end up at though. Something rated to higher would be nice but I do like this concept.
Door hangers View attachment 285491

Harken
View attachment 285492

Rolling tool box View attachment 285493

Pardon my bench. endless projects.

Nice. Thanks for the pics. Adding a new item to the list: large banners of companies I like :)

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I try to keep things modular, adjustable easy to move around... 70% of my stuff on the ground can roll out... 16” Deep 3/4 Plywood box uppers with adjustable 3/4 plywood shelves... lower bench section with a vise is stout... but simple work benches I 45’d the legs to the wall to keep it open underneath where I can store a rollaway, a cart or other items on wheels or not. I plan on building a steel table on wheels that will double as a work bench or roll out as a welding table. Rubbermaid also makes an adjustable rack system with various hook styles for hanging items high or low.... In small spaces you gotta keep it tight and get creative. I actually drew elevations of each wall and a floor plan to map out all my main items to scale so I could build it once. Good luck! Fun Stuff.
Nice! Got a pic or two?
80" flat screen, fireplace, wet bar, 60's Fender Twin Reverb, keg with tap, dart board, oh and some tools...
Yeah, I actually am repurposing our old TV. Gonna wall mount it and have GoPro videos from their YouTube channel constantly playing.

Dart board. Also key.

wjtstudios

Hooked
6000 pounds sounds pretty close to what a JK could end up at though. Something rated to higher would be nice but 8 do like this concept.

Nice. Thanks for the pics. Adding a new item to the list: large banners of companies I like :)

Gotta have an AMC!

They cover all the kids shit that I store on two shelves up there! I couldn’t stand it so I prints those banners on heavy canvas and hung them over it.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Nice! Got a pic or two?

Here’s a couple:

The floating bench leaves extra room for bigger items or bringing a car in a little farther if needed...
IMG_5833.jpg
IMG_5837.jpg

3/4 Ply with simple adjustable brackets... glued & screws boxes.. you can rip the ply 3 times equally to get 16” depth. With a 36” tall box you can get 3 good size shelves.
IMG_5834.jpg

I built this rack system (out of c-channel, 1/2” nuts and all thread) to hold my scrap metal tight to the wall. Fully adjustable.
IMG_5836.jpg
IMG_5840.jpg

Stout bench for when shit gets serious
IMG_5838.jpg

Rubbermaid fast track... not cheap, but cool for quick adjustability.
IMG_5839.jpg

If you are going to keep the open studs & ceiling joists... you can really use those open spaces to hang & store small stuff... the drywall is restrictive but the insulation keeps things cozy since I basically live in here... lol

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Compressor with reserve air tank will be much less cumbersome than the ARB if you're using air tools.

Also, if yours is open framed like the one in the picture, definitely insulate it. You will notice a huge difference in comfort while working in there both in summer and winter.

GraniteCrystal

Here’s a couple:

The floating bench leaves extra room for bigger items or bringing a car in a little farther if needed...
View attachment 285498
View attachment 285501

3/4 Ply with simple adjustable brackets... glued & screws boxes.. you can rip the ply 3 times equally to get 16” depth. With a 36” tall box you can get 3 good size shelves.
View attachment 285500

I built this rack system (out of c-channel, 1/2” nuts and all thread) to hold my scrap metal tight to the wall. Fully adjustable.
View attachment 285502
View attachment 285506

Stout bench for when shit gets serious
View attachment 285503

Rubbermaid fast track... not cheap, but cool for quick adjustability.
View attachment 285504

If you are going to keep the open studs & ceiling joists... you can really use those open spaces to hang & store small stuff... the drywall is restrictive but the insulation keeps things cozy since I basically live in here... lol
Pics are fantastic. Getting some more ideas going. Thanks!
Compressor with reserve air tank will be much less cumbersome than the ARB if you're using air tools.

Also, if yours is open framed like the one in the picture, definitely insulate it. You will notice a huge difference in comfort while working in there both in summer and winter.
I want to insulate it but I like having the studs exposed. Way to insulate but do drywall between studs rather than over it or something?

Top Bottom