Torque wrench suggestions

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I need to replace my 1/2" drive torque wrench. I started looking on line and came accross a few brands I was really familiar with. I also came accross a bunch of familiar brands with crappy reviews. Anyone have a suggestion for a torque wrench for under~ $150. Capri was one of the brands I saw that looked like it had a decent option but I'm not familiar with them.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've said it once and I'll say it again...HF $9.99 with cupin. I have been using mine sine 2011. No problems. Yes I was hesitant at first, but it does the job.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I recently bought a 3/8 drive Husky at Home depot ... gonna pick up the 1/2” too since my craftsman broke... I think the 3/8 was $80... the 1/2” like $120.

BobNH

I've said it once and I'll say it again...HF $9.99 with cupin. I have been using mine sine 2011. No problems. Yes I was hesitant at first, but it does the job.

This.
I got the flyer last week, and yes, $9.99 srill. Glad to hear it is still working because I put it on my christmas list lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Hard to beat a $10 price tag. I always get a little paranoid though when I see similar tools for 10x the price and up. Always makes me wonder why lol.

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you have a Lowe’s nearby the kobalts are great. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. If it breaks drive to Lowe’s and swap it out. I’ve done it with other kobalt tools like damaged sockets that were clearly on an impact gun that should not have been, but no issue swapping them out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

Be vary weary of the super cheap torque wrenches. I went through two that were way out of tolerance (verified by my cal lab). Maybe I just got a bad batch. These were the 3/8 in/lbs but were way off.

aka cavfighter

Brute

Hooked
Make sure your span of scale is correct for the torque value you want...all analog torque wrenches are inaccurate for the first 20% span of scale. When I owned my business, every technician work station had several direct dial reading torque wrenches that was required to have documented torque calibration annually...it became more cost effective to purchase our own calibration equipment...some other shops we did work for began to bring their torque wrenches to us to check calibration...you would be surprised how many of them were off by quite a bit...

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Be vary weary of the super cheap torque wrenches. I went through two that were way out of tolerance (verified by my cal lab). Maybe I just got a bad batch. These were the 3/8 in/lbs but were way off.

aka cavfighter

Couldn't agree more. If something is worth putting a torque wrench on than at least spend the $ on something that you can trust is accurate. Middle line brands like husky or Kobalt are typically fine if you take care of them, and don't leave the spring set tight during storage.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Couldn't agree more. If something is worth putting a torque wrench on than at least spend the $ on something that you can trust is accurate. Middle line brands like husky or Kobalt are typically fine if you take care of them, and don't leave the spring set tight during storage.

Very good point on keeping the springs loose. Most people don’t do that. Agreed, anything that needs to be precise needs to be a quality tool. Not the cheapest you can find.

JKbrick

I need to replace my 1/2" drive torque wrench. I started looking on line and came accross a few brands I was really familiar with. I also came accross a bunch of familiar brands with crappy reviews. Anyone have a suggestion for a torque wrench for under~ $150. Capri was one of the brands I saw that looked like it had a decent option but I'm not familiar with them.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

You can find great deals on Mac or snap on on eBay, just get it calibrated. IMG_6408.JPG
Like this one for pinion nuts rotational torque I got for $100!

Top Bottom