Dana 44 Jk damaged gears

I’ve been trying to come to a conclusion as to what happened to this gear set. Has anyone seen similar damage like this to a ring gear? It’s somewhat similar on the pinion as well.

IMG_3626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Anyways, aside from the reply of a “poor gear set up” which might be all that’s needed to be said about this.. maybe someone has seen similar damage from incorrect carrier bearing preload, incorrect backlash, incorrect pinion depth, improper gear break in, etc.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Without seeing it in person, going by the pic, I’m gonna say insufficient pinion shim.

WJCO

Meme King
Looks to me like pinion wasn't set deep enough. Post picture of the pinion gear also please. Who did the gears and how many miles on that gear set? Bet that thing was singing noisier than the spice girls with a .300 BAC level.

WJCO

Meme King
.007 is a little tight but within specs. We're new bearings used? Are bearings still decent looking? Still looks slightly shallow but hard to say for sure, pattern contact is a little hard to see. Have you checked every tooth to make sure none are damaged?

.007 is a little tight but within specs. We're new bearings used? Are bearings still decent looking? Still looks slightly shallow but hard to say for sure, pattern contact is a little hard to see. Have you checked every tooth to make sure none are damaged?

Drive side is all damaged like in the first pic on every tooth, but the coast side of every tooth is normal with no damage. I only used a new inner and outer pinion bearing in this setup and reused the carrier bearings with about 40k miles on them. The bearings and the races did not looked damaged as I pulled them out..

WJCO

Meme King
Although you replaced the pinion bearings, did you also put the new matching races in the housing? Not saying this is the issue, but I have rebuilt axles where two different manufacturers build bearings for the same axle and yet they visually are completely different yet still work. They still work as long as the matching races are installed.

Although you replaced the pinion bearings, did you also put the new matching races in the housing? Not saying this is the issue, but I have rebuilt axles where two different manufacturers build bearings for the same axle and yet they visually are completely different yet still work. They still work as long as the matching races are installed.

I had to dig in the garbage a little bit, but yea they were both matching koyo bearings with matching koyo races on the carrier.

Looks like the pinion was too close or not tightened down enough and became to close, what is the brand of the gear set? Did you install the gears? Did u purchase a master overhaul kit when u replaced the gears?

I was referring to the pinion bearings. Although new bearings were used, were the old races knocked out of the housing and new ones set in?

Honestly.. that part I do not remember because I did this 7 months ago right before I went on deployment. I took pictures of everything I did so that’s how I was able to answer all these questions, but yea definitely don’t remember if I knocked those races out on that install [emoji848]. Now I’m back and replaced the damaged ring and pinion. But, I definitely knocked them out this time and replaced them.

Top Bottom