Cb hook up

Oreo_penguin536

My guy bailed on me 2 weeks in a row and I have no idea what I’m doing. Need it done so I can get more space in my basement for other stuff. Could someone help me hook my cb up? I don’t have a lot of cash to pay but I have some.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My guy bailed on me 2 weeks in a row and I have no idea what I’m doing. Need it done so I can get more space in my basement for other stuff. Could someone help me hook my cb up? I don’t have a lot of cash to pay but I have some.

There’s a lot of good info on here and plenty of people to answer questions you have. It’s not beyond you. We’re here to help.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’m just terrified of wiring. Last thing I touched caught on fire,before that I shorted the ecu out some how

I’ll start looking thougg

You’ll be fine. Do you already have your antenna and coax? It’s pretty basic once you get going. Most CB’s come with a harness already supplied with a fuse and whatnot so power supply is pretty simple. Where most people fail is the coax wiring and antenna tuning. I️ know you’re going on the New Years run and I️ can bring my SWR meter to help you tune the antenna if needed.

Last edited:

Oreo_penguin536

You’ll be fine. Do you already have your antenna and coax? It’s pretty basic once you get going. Most CB’s come with a harness already supplied with a fuse and whatnot so power supply is pretty simple. Where most people fail is the coax wiring and antenna tuning. I️ know you’re going on the New Years run and I️ can bring my SWR meter to help you tune the antenna if needed.

Haven’t gotten a whip quite yet but I wanted to get everything else just wired up that way it’s all set for a hen I do order the whip, I can just put it on and go so to say
I have the 18’ coax 95% shield, I have a 3 foot somewhere to connect my Texas star up to the cb and that’s it. I think I need regular 6 or 8 gauge wire to actually get power to it

The guy I bought the amp from says that if the vehicle is computerize it will fry it and big the systems down? Does that mean I can’t run that on my yj ?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Haven’t gotten a whip quite yet but I wanted to get everything else just wired up that way it’s all set for a hen I do order the whip, I can just put it on and go so to say
I have the 18’ coax 95% shield, I have a 3 foot somewhere to connect my Texas star up to the cb and that’s it. I think I need regular 6 or 8 gauge wire to actually get power to it

The guy I bought the amp from says that if the vehicle is computerize it will fry it and big the systems down? Does that mean I can’t run that on my yj ?

I️ don’t want to speculate as to what you have but 6 or 8 gauge is most likely way overkill for what you’re powering up. Not sure what the guy before you was taking about. You can safely run a CB in a modern vehicle. What model CB are you installing? Take a look at the power supply wiring and that will give you a general idea of the wire size you should be using.

Maineiac

Hey guys, may as well wave as I just joined! John from Maine here... Anyway , I think he is referring to adding a Texas Star amp in line.. and although I've never seen having an amp fry a computer, it's use as your own risk type stuff.. Texas Star is a good brand though. See how many watts it is and than Google and see how many gauge wire you will need. However if your going to use an amp make sure to use better coax and an antenna that will handle it..SWR needs to be low as possible too!.. BTW I'll be doing something similar when I pick my 2008 Sahara up this week :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo_penguin536

I️ don’t want to speculate as to what you have but 6 or 8 gauge is most likely way overkill for what you’re powering up. Not sure what the guy before you was taking about. You can safely run a CB in a modern vehicle. What model CB are you installing? Take a look at the power supply wiring and that will give you a general idea of the wire size you should be using.

I have th cobra 148 gtl, I’ll take a look at it after work today and see what gauge exactly I’m running 🤙🏾

Oreo_penguin536

Hey guys, may as well wave as I just joined! John from Maine here... Anyway , I think he is referring to adding a Texas Star amp in line.. and although I've never seen having an amp fry a computer, it's use as your own risk type stuff.. Texas Star is a good brand though. See how many watts it is and than Google and see how many gauge wire you will need. However if your going to use an amp make sure to use better coax and an antenna that will handle it..SWR needs to be low as possible too!.. BTW I'll be doing something similar when I pick my 2008 Sahara up this week :)

Hey man! Welcome to WAL! I’d defiantly make a wave post though in that thread, more people will see it🤙🏾

Anyway, I thinks it’s 500 Watts? I’ll have to shoot some pics up after work

All I know is if you are wiring anything and let the smoke out then the magic stops working[emoji23]

Maineiac

Hey man! Welcome to WAL! I’d defiantly make a wave post though in that thread, more people will see it🤙🏾

Anyway, I thinks it’s 500 Watts? I’ll have to shoot some pics up after work

All I know is if you are wiring anything and let the smoke out then the magic stops working[emoji23]

Yeah we don't want smoke lol.. anyway a 500w kicker is gonna suck up 35-40 amps depending how maxed out it is.. 8gauge up to battery is best I can figure for it.. but the Cobra 148 should do you just fine trail blazing.. 148 has SSB I believe? Only thing is everyone else will need to have SSB to talk to you on that setting.. BUT.. you do get better range off SSB.. either way good luck with install, and don't forget fuses close to battery to make sure you keep that smoke inside :)

fiend

Caught the Bug
500 watt amp for a CB? Are you talking to people in the next state over? Seriously though, an amp like that is going to generate a lot of heat and be a fire hazard. Don’t DIY it unless you are confident with your wiring skills. Why not Craigslist that and just get a Uniden? They are cheap and they work. The range you need for wheeling is pretty limited, so you don’t need some big ass, Smokey and the Bandit style CB.

Oreo_penguin536

Insurance Incase I wheel by myself or if my girl and I get lost somewhere, we are getting into the whole overlanding thing and I go by the notion of its better to over build than under build if you get my drift. I was thinking about not running the amp until summer honestly just because I’m not done doing interior stuff yet and it’s easier to just unhook a cb than do all that shit with the amp as well

How far could I get off of a cb and a 102” whip by itself?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Insurance Incase I wheel by myself or if my girl and I get lost somewhere, we are getting into the whole overlanding thing and I go by the notion of its better to over build than under build if you get my drift. I was thinking about not running the amp until summer honestly just because I’m not done doing interior stuff yet and it’s easier to just unhook a cb than do all that shit with the amp as well

How far could I get off of a cb and a 102” whip by itself?

I’m not sure. Would depend on terrain (longer distance in flat terrain) and how well your antenna is set up and tuned.

Look into a HAM radio. There are HAM repeaters, which rebroadcast your transmission and vastly increase your geographic reach. You will need a license though.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Dunno much about amps so I️ can’t give you much advice there. But for what it sounds like you’re trying to do, a HAM radio would probably better suit your needs as mentioned above.

Oreo_penguin536

I’m not sure. Would depend on terrain (longer distance in flat terrain) and how well your antenna is set up and tuned.

Look into a HAM radio. There are HAM repeaters, which rebroadcast your transmission and vastly increase your geographic reach. You will need a license though.

I was thinking about that but figured I’d wait to get my HAM license until I get used to cb and figure that out.

If I wanted to wire the cb myself do I need an in-line fuse? Any relays? I was told to just wire it straight to the battery but that doesn’t seem right, atleast not to me.

I can run wires, hide them and do all that shinaniganz decently I guess it’s just the actual hooking stuff up. Same reason I haven’t hooked up my led bars and pods yet

Top Bottom