Vibration tires or driveshaft?

RedRocker

I'm trying to identify a vibration. It starts around 40mph and stops at 60. It feels like what an aggressive MT tire feels like at low speeds - feeling the tread block vibration. I'm running 37in KO2s that now have around 20k miles on them. The tires don't look like they have worn bad and I just had them rebalanced but the vibration is still there. I started noticing it as soon as the temps dropped below the 50s. Maybe it is the tires since the cold will result in the rubber being stiffer. I don't really feel the vibration in the steering wheel and there is no vibration in the shifter. I'm running PR60s with the front hubs unlocked so the front DS isn't turning. I have no idea what a driveshaft vibration feels like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Check your tire pressure when it's cold out, just to see how much it has dropped.

Also, if you can get Jeep up to 40mph on a rural road with no one around, when the vibration occurs, put the vehicle in neutral. If it is still there, it's most likely related to tires/wheels/unit bearings/etc. But if it goes away, it's likely a powertrain vibration which could be lots of things, but driveshaft is most common.

Other thing you can do is just remove the front drive shaft and test drive the Jeep and see if the vibration is still there.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Maybe check control arm bushings or joints depending which your running. With colder temps rubber bushings would be stiffer which could exaggerate a vibration that you couldn’t feel when it was warmer and the bushing or joint was softer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedRocker

Check your tire pressure when it's cold out, just to see how much it has dropped.

Also, if you can get Jeep up to 40mph on a rural road with no one around, when the vibration occurs, put the vehicle in neutral. If it is still there, it's most likely related to tires/wheels/unit bearings/etc. But if it goes away, it's likely a powertrain vibration which could be lots of things, but driveshaft is most common.

Other thing you can do is just remove the front drive shaft and test drive the Jeep and see if the vibration is still there.
I'll try putting it in neutral when it's vibrating. Front DS should not be the issue since it is not rotating.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If it's bad enough and the rebalance doesn't help you, you can ask around to see if there is a shop nearby that does truing. I had the same issue after regearing and a shop trued my front two tires and got rid of the vibrations.

Sessoms14X

So I totally had this ass backwards 🙄 I've been thinking it was my driveline causing the vibrations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedRocker

Update:

Pulled the rear drive shaft and the vibration stopped. I spoke with Adams and now I know what happened - The driveshaft was originally assembled with a flange at the axle end to enable it to bolt up to the flange on my stock Dana 44. When I installed my ProRock 60 that uses a 1350 yoke, I removed the flange from the end of the driveshaft and bolted the u-joint into the PR60 yoke. Sounds like it would work, except the driveshaft was balanced with the flange on it. Removing the flange through the driveshaft out of balance. In addition, although it worked, the driveshaft was just a bit too short with the PR60 installed. Shipped it back to Adams today to have them work their magic.

Top Bottom