Grand Canyon

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
My wife and I are taking an impromptu trip for Christmas vacation. I'm curious of some trails in near the Grand Canyon that offer some great views. I'm not looking for directions as that's half the fun but if anyone could give me some trail names I would owe you a beer. I plan on keeping the 35's without the beadlocks so light trails are what we have in mind. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're not gonna find too much on the south rim but if you head out to the north rim, Toroweap is what I would recommend you visit. Make sure you have plenty of gas with you.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
That's perfect! Ive never been in the area so it's nice just to have a direction of travel. Thanks guys and I'll be sure to post pictures once we get close.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TGPJKUR

I was to point sublime in summer 16 with the family. We took my 15 quad cab ram back the trails that get you there. They are not challenging in any way but I look forward to revisiting the area with the JK in the next year or two. The views are well worth it, plus fun trail riding.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Went to that area in December two years back when my mother was volunteering at Pipe Springs monument, had my XJ on 31s and had no issues finding some scenic places. Most of the actual trails I ran were in Moab on the way down.

+1 on Toroweap, not a difficult trail by any means, few minor obstacles on the last mile or so. You drive by the ranger station a few miles from the end, very nice guy if he is there, but at that time of year there are only 2 ranges for the entire north rim so they go out on patrol for a few days at a time.

IMG_20151210_114248688_HDR.jpg

Would recommend Cottonwood Canyon Road. Several miles of dirt roads with beautiful scenery and dumps you in to Kodachrome State Park. Dry it is a tame dirt road but if there is moisture it can be difficult. When I drove it there was snow two days prior and other than a stream crossing that was a little messy I had no issues, but there were some deep tire tracks that looked like they were from the day before.

IMG_20151208_125024162.jpg

WiscoHR

There are a lot of great scenic trails on the north rim. But be careful this time of year, everything is closed and not many people around. Here are some pics from sublime point. IMG_0156.JPG IMG_2709.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom