Transmission Coolers

LGPow2006

I know search is my best friend. Specifics to the ambient heat and potential engine overheat associated with mounting a tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

I am in SE Arizona. Not as hot as Phx but triple digits are pretty common (and common soon I suspect). I have seen two types of coolers. 1 coil and fin type that mounts in front of radiator ( I assume) 2nd is more like a heat sink of billet that appears to be mountable any place there is an exchange of air.

I know about using lower gears to prevent the issue etc....I am very nervous about the up coming summer with no cooler and want to get one on soon..... Then comes the problem....will a radiator mounted aux cooler cause over heating issues with my coolant?

I see many people from the dessert on this forum so I am sure I will get great advice based on personal experiences....

09 Auto 2 door. Stock diff ad such.... 33 tires.... What else you need to know just ask

Thanks in advance

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I have wheeled in Arizona, New Mexico, and the Mohave in June and July. Temps were triple digits. I have a coil in front of radiator and have had no issues. Keep it in lower gears on the trails. On the highway, if you've got a long up grade like the one heading west on 40 towards kingman, if you're trying to maintain 75, you will see you engine temp gauge go higher. Course once I brought it to 65 and turned the air off temp came down quick. I'd be more worried about how much a winch is blocking the front grill.

Tcdawg

I run a Hayden fin type cooler in front of my radiator. It works great and I haven't seen in decrease in the efficiency of my radiator.

JeepFan

Hooked
I live in the high desert of So Cal where triple digit temps are common during the summer. I installed a factory trans cooler and a dual pass heat sink power steering cooler behind the grill. No overheating or cooling issues.

LGPow2006

I guess I will pick one up next weekend then. Seems easy enough decision if it has no affect on the radiator. I wonder really how much of it is the cooling or just the extra volume of oil that makes the difference. Either way going to get one and install next. Thanks guys

Top Bottom