Temperature cycling like crazy

Sahara_Maverick

Now my Jeep started a new tantrum.

Sometimes the coolant temperature goes up to the point the high temp dashboard light goes on.

Then the same way it came up it goes down.

This is accompanied by the hot air blew from the vents cooling down and then coming up again.

So, the engine temp goes up at the same time the hot air cools down and vice versa.

Did not find specific reason. Can be while stopped in a traffic light or slow street driving.

Usual suspects would be thermostat or water pump. Anything else that could be failing?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

Thanks! I had flushed it with one of those spill-proof funnels not long ago.

I checked the thermostat. Took it out and put in boiling water and it did not open so I guessed it was the culprit.

Since we cannot drive without it because it seals the system I took the core off and put it back. This way I would be able to drive back home and then buy a new one.

The super high temp went away but I am still getting it going a little bit higher than the usual 220F. It goes up to 235F. The fan kicks in and brings it back to the 210F and it then goes back to 220F.

Questions:
1) shouldn't the Jeep run cooler since now there's no thermostat in the system?
2) can air be still the cause or something else?
3) can a water pump fail intermitently before giving up?

black pearl

Hooked
Thanks! I had flushed it with one of those spill-proof funnels not long ago.

I checked the thermostat. Took it out and put in boiling water and it did not open so I guessed it was the culprit.

Since we cannot drive without it because it seals the system I took the core off and put it back. This way I would be able to drive back home and then buy a new one.

The super high temp went away but I am still getting it going a little bit higher than the usual 220F. It goes up to 235F. The fan kicks in and brings it back to the 210F and it then goes back to 220F.

Questions:
1) shouldn't the Jeep run cooler since now there's no thermostat in the system?
2) can air be still the cause or something else?
3) can a water pump fail intermitently before giving up?

Without a thermostat it will run hotter, wail driving. There isn't anything to slow the water down so the radiator can cool it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

Interesting. So, what do the "cooler" thermostats actually do? They use a 180F setting, meaning they open earlier than the stock 195F correct?

Got the new thermostat and replaced it. Also did another air purge but this time I parked the Jeep's front on two ramps I use to work under it. This way the radiator would be much higher than anything else.
Got a few air bubbles coming out of it when the stat opened.

Everything back to normal again except that I saw a few drips coming from the radiator area. Apparently either a hose or the radiator itself is leaking. More investigations during the weekend.

Thanks for the hints.

Top Bottom