JL Wrangler AXLES - Dana M186 & M210 Front / M200 & M220 Rear

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20171130001929-041eb378.jpg

When it comes to building up a Jeep, bigger tires are typically a big part of that equation and the bigger you go, the more concern there is regarding axle strength. Because of this, there have been a lot of questions regarding what axles will be coming on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler and the following is a list of what you can expect to see on a Rubicon, Sahara and Sport. Or at least, this is what I know as of now. :cool:

JL Rubicon - Dana M210 Front / Dana M220 Rear
The flagship JL Wrangler is the Rubicon and to help make it more capable than ever before, it will come with an all new Dana M210 axle up front and a Dana M220 axle in the rear. Unlike any of the other JL models, these axles will measure an impressive 68" wide making them 1.5" wider than a Sport or Sahara and a whole 2.5" wider than what came on the JK Wrangler. I should note that full width axles are typically 68.5".

JL Sahara (Standard) - Dana 186MM Front / Dana M200 Rear
For those of you who want the luxurious options that a JL Wrangler Rubicon offers but don't really need it's impressive rock crawling capabilities, the JL Sahara is a perfect option for you and it comes with a Dana 186MM front axle and a Dana M200 Rear Axle. Unlike the JL Rubicon, these axles measure 66.5" wide which still makes them 1" wider than what came on the JK Wrangler.

JL Sport - Dana M186 Front / Dana M200 Rear
JL Wrangler Sports will now come with a Dana M186 front and Dana M200 rear axle. Just like the JL Sahara, these axles will also measure 66.5" wide.

JL Sahara & Sport Option - Dana M220 Rear
Available as an option, the JL Wrangler Sahara and Sport will also be available with a Dana M220 rear axle which comes as a part of the limited slip differential.

Selec-Trac AWD
While it's not an axle, it should be noted that JL Wranglers that are ordered with the optional Selec-Trac All Wheel Drive system will have front axle shafts that come with CV joints. This is done to help eliminate what some refer to as, "crow hopping" and provide smoother turning.

Again, this information is based on what I know as of today.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that a lot of this was already posted up on our sister site www.JLWRANGLER.com but I know that there are a lot of you who don't frequent there. Anyway, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this info here as well. :cool:

WJCO

Meme King

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
There are rumors that it is similar to the recon axle which is .065 thicker tubes but still 2.5" diameter but the C's are definitely larger. There's a thread here about the recon axle: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/43432-Rubicon-Recon-Edition-quot-Stronger-front-axle-quot

That thread is not a guaranteed JL axle, but rumors are that they are similar.

The axle tubes are larger and thicker on the JL. The Cs are beefed up too.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Eddie the only thing I see that doesn’t appear correct is that 205mm optional front on Sahara. The Sahara always has a 186 front.

Both the Sport and Sahara have an optional rear 220. Anyone ordering one, you won’t see an axle option to pick. It is part of the limited slip diff. If you order the limited slip it comes with a rear 220. It is in the details if your dealer looks.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I was watching a YouTube video of a guy doing a walk around on the new JL and it had a specs sticker on the window. The sticker has the axle options on it. Here's a shot of it. IMG_1203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie the only thing I see that doesn’t appear correct is that 205mm optional front on Sahara. The Sahara always has a 186 front.

Both the Sport and Sahara have an optional rear 220. Anyone ordering one, you won’t see an axle option to pick. It is part of the limited slip diff. If you order the limited slip it comes with a rear 220. It is in the details if your dealer looks.

I appreciate your correction and accurate information. As I had state on my first post, I wasn't able to verify the "optional" Sahara info. :yup:

matt1171

I'm not familiar with these new Axle terms. I heard about a week before reveal that the Sport/Sahara would have D30/D35 axles while the Rubicon would have beefier D44s than the JK had. Is that what these new axles are or are they something different than D30/35/44 axles?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with these new Axle terms. I heard about a week before reveal that the Sport/Sahara would have D30/D35 axles while the Rubicon would have beefier D44s than the JK had. Is that what these new axles are or are they something different than D30/35/44 axles?

What you heard was fake news.

The M186, M200, M210 or M220 is a reference to the ring gear size in terms of millimeters. A Dana 30 does have a ring gear that measures 7.25" and an M186 will have one that measures 7.32" so their similar size may have confused those who were reporting the bad info. Of course, the M186 is still a big bigger and supposedly, it's stronger as well. Same goes for the rear M200, it has a ring gear size of 7.87" and a Dana 35 measures 7.62". Again, they are similar in size but that's it. If anything, the Rubicon with its M220 rear will have a ring gear that measures 8.66" which is bigger than the original JK Dana 44 which measured 8.5", but is slightly smaller than the new nex gen 44 that they've been coming with which measures 8.9".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the JL sport will have a smaller ring gear in the back than the JK sport as standard? Or did i misunderstand?

The front will be slightly larger than the Dana 30 that comes on the front of a JK Sport. The rear will be larger than the original JK Dana 44 but slightly smaller than the current nex gen Dana 44. That being said, I am "told" that it is still just as strong.

silverbullet88

Bringing up an old thread here but I find it's the best place to ask. Since my JL sport has the 220mm D44 rear axle..what is it's width? 68.5 or 66.5?

I'm assuming they made the Sahara and sport m220's 66.5 to match that front but just curious if anyone knows for sure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing up an old thread here but I find it's the best place to ask. Since my JL sport has the 220mm D44 rear axle..what is it's width? 68.5 or 66.5?

I'm assuming they made the Sahara and sport m220's 66.5 to match that front but just curious if anyone knows for sure

It'll still be 66.5".

Thanks Eddie, very helpful, chalk this up as referance material.

No longer just D30 or D44, more variants to memorize LOL.

Wonder what the reference is to these new part numbers, and what they mean. IE M220...a dimension, size of something perhaps.....thinking....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks Eddie, very helpful, chalk this up as referance material.

No longer just D30 or D44, more variants to memorize LOL.

Wonder what the reference is to these new part numbers, and what they mean. IE M220...a dimension, size of something perhaps.....thinking....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app
If I remember correctly I think it's the diameter of the ring gear in millimeters

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom