JL - 4 things I don't like

78cj7

There is a lot to like about the JL - but here are four things I'm not psyched about. Tell me if I should lighten up or if you agree that these are potential problems:
1. Engine shut-off. I know you can turn it off every time you start-up, but I don't like it. Think there will be a hack to permanently shut it off?
2. The engine start button instead of a key. Just seems like one more electronic thing to go wrong.
3. Electronic steering
4. Integrated headlights (harder to replace)

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously though, I think the push button start and integrated lights isn’t such a big deal. The electric steering assist... we’ll have the see. Not fond of the start/stop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We were just talking about the steering on jlwrangler.com. It sounds like the only electric part is the pump. So the steering is still hydraulic but an electric pump operates it instead of a belt-driven mechanical pump.

It doesn't sound like full blown electric steering like other manufacturers are using.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The two I am most interested in seeing how they perform is the electro-hydraulic steering and the FAD.

The electro hydraulic steering itself is a huge improvement. You notice it immediately on and off road. Off road you get more assist at low engine rpm as the electric pump can supply whatever hydraulic pressure you need without having to worry about engine speed. The question will be can it support hydraulic assist in stock form. If not is it as simple as maybe porting the pump? Software to spin it faster? Change motor? Change whole pump? This is what I’m interested in seeing. I know PSC will figure it out.

FAD I’m torn on. Everyone keeps thinking YJ. That big problem was the vacuum system that was troublesome. What many folks forget is the Power Wagon has had FAD for years now. Guys like Cooper from Diesel Power Products is running a stock FAD axle in his RAM 2500 on 40s and has done Ultimate Adventure, etc. never had an issue with it. It is a different axle so we will see but I am optimistic.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jknikos

The only thing i am concerned so far is the mild hybrid battery and its location. Where i live the only engine that will be coming is the 2.0 turbo and our off road is mud, snow, and water crossings.

What is fad?

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I purchased an 86 Comanche. It has FAD. As I was examining the front axle, I noticed all of the vacuum lines had become brittle and were broken off. 4x4 posi-lock makes two styles of positive lock engagement. One that is always engaged or one that is engaged and disengaged by a cable in the cab.

I got the cable unit. Have yet to install it.

Perhaps they will make one for the JL if these don't already fit.

Last edited:

78cj7

1. Yup, I forgot FAD! But at least the JL version is not vacuum-based (as previously mentioned). The electric version should be more robust, but its still another electric system…
2. I agree with Eddie – the integrated headlights are not a big deal – just more expensive and a little more time-consuming to replace.
3. Regarding the push-button start: can you still do a roll-start (or “push-start”) with a manual transmission if you have push-button start?
4. Speaking of the manual – the new Aisin D478 manual transmission sounds good! But any concerns over it being a cable shifter? Maybe its not a great comparison (transmission vs transfer case), but a guy I know had to replace the cable on his JK transfer case. Anyone ever had a JK transfer case cable snap without warning? I’m wondering if this would be relevant to the new manual transmission.
“Replacing the old NSG370 six-speed manual transmission is a new six-speed unit built by Aisin. The new D478 six-speed manual is only available with the Pentastar engine and features a shockingly low 5.13 First gear, making the manual Rubicon the factory crawling champ with an astonishing crawl ratio of 84.2:1. The cable-operated shifting mechanism also isolates the shifter from the drivetrain for better NVH and offers 50-percent shorter throws.”
SOURCE: FourWheeler Network http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1712-first-drive-2018-wrangler-rubicon-jl/
QUESTION: is citing a source like I did here a breach of the Forum Rules? I'm not trying to plug another website, just wanted to show my source. If I'm breaking the rules I apologize and will gladly remove the post.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
3. Regarding the push-button start: can you still do a roll-start (or “push-start”) with a manual transmission if you have push-button start?

That's a great question. Curious to hear the answer on this.

Edit: I have 2 vehicles with the push button start and love it.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
4.Speaking of the manual – the new Aisin D478 manual transmission sounds good! But any concerns over it being a cable shifter? Maybe its not a great comparison (transmission vs transfer case), but a guy I know had to replace the cable on his JK transfer case. Anyone ever had a JK transfer case cable snap without warning? I’m wondering if this would be relevant to the new manual transmission.
“Replacing the old NSG370 six-speed manual transmission is a new six-speed unit built by Aisin. The new D478 six-speed manual is only available with the Pentastar engine and features a shockingly low 5.13 First gear, making the manual Rubicon the factory crawling champ with an astonishing crawl ratio of 84.2:1. The cable-operated shifting mechanism also isolates the shifter from the drivetrain for better NVH and offers 50-percent shorter throws.”
SOURCE: FourWheeler Network http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1712-first-drive-2018-wrangler-rubicon-jl/
QUESTION: is citing a source like I did here a breach of the Forum Rules? I'm not trying to plug another website, just wanted to show my source. If I'm breaking the rules I apologize and will gladly remove the post.

Cable shifters are nothing new and are pretty robust. Your more likely to break the housing at the base of the stick than a cable as the cables tend to become dirty over time and stick causing you to force the stick to move it, but it would probably take 60k miles to happen.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Why are you guys so worried about replacing the headlights? What if they work really well?

I’m with you here. The only reason I replaced them on my jk was because of how terrible factory is. On the jl you can get LED from the factory. If you’re worried about the headlights I would just go led from the start and not worry about replacement

78cj7

Thanks for the reply on the cable shifter 2nd.gunman! Regarding the headlights, yeah - I'd order the LED from the factory, and I think they'd be fine (much better than the old JK headlights prior to the LED option). I would not plan on replacing them for upgrades. I guess my comment was more about ease of working on the Jeep in general. As we all know, newer vehicles get harder and harder to work on. Every move in that direction - no matter how minor - sort of bugs me.

Sahara_Maverick

Wouldn't it be nice if Chrysler offered a clean version of the Wrangler without all this crap that can (actually will) fail and add nothing for who wants a reliable offroad vehicle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't it be nice if Chrysler offered a clean version of the Wrangler without all this crap that can (actually will) fail and add nothing for who wants a reliable offroad vehicle?

I'm sure they would if they could but a lot of what you see on any new vehicle today is mandated by the government.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you guys so worried about replacing the headlights? What if they work really well?

I’m with you here. The only reason I replaced them on my jk was because of how terrible factory is. On the jl you can get LED from the factory. If you’re worried about the headlights I would just go led from the start and not worry about replacement

Exactly! If you've ever seen how nice the JK LED headlights are, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the JL LED headlights. :yup:

I should also note that it was pretty easy to convert the headlights on my Renegade to LED and it cost a LOT less too :yup:

Top Bottom