Internal beadlocks???

Hey everybody, I was just shopping for beadlocks and discovered these internal beadlocks. They describe them as a tire inside of your tire that inflates and firces the bead outward to lock it in place. Anybody ever use these or can explain this sorcery? I can't see them being very reliable

Sent from my LG-LS998 using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Hey everybody, I was just shopping for beadlocks and discovered these internal beadlocks. They describe them as a tire inside of your tire that inflates and firces the bead outward to lock it in place. Anybody ever use these or can explain this sorcery? I can't see them being very reliable

They actually work really well. The downsides are they are a pain in the a$$ to install and if u use them on a street rig u are supposed to deflate the inner liners to minimal ptessure when on the road or u can get bad wear on the inner tire bead from the inner liner rubbing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

I run Hutchinson’s which have a inner rubber donut which then creates a inner bead lock. Not terrible in the install. But a nightmare of separating them once they are together. I had a TPMS go bad in one and discount tire gave up on trying to get it apart. I had to by a special bead breaker and a lot of time to separate it. In the end, I think they are one of the best wheels out there. But they are a bitch with it comes to maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It does sound like they are very good in theory, I can only imagine the guys at discount tire fighting with them tho. Hahaha
But hey that just means they are really gonna do their job on the trail

wjtstudios

Hooked
It does sound like they are very good in theory, I can only imagine the guys at discount tire fighting with them tho. Hahaha
But hey that just means they are really gonna do their job on the trail

Hypothetically you can run them at 0 psi. I’m assuming it would wreck the tire, but it is possible. They were developed for the military and federal vehicles and get shot out.

CedarRaider

They are like 900 for a set of 5. Then you have to have the stones to drill another hole in your rim to inflate the tube. I almost bought a set but decided against it.

HeWhoDares

Gaaah the sketchy, I have issues with drills in general[emoji23]

I thought bead locks weren’t dot approved as it was anyway?? Or did I read wrong

I think CedarRaider is referring to the internal inflating style. The Hutchinson don't require any mods. And servicing them has been really easy for me. It just takes soapy water and a tire lever in several spots around the rim. My three year old helps me. 😊

Sent from my SM-G930F using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Gaaah the sketchy, I have issues with drills in general[emoji23]

I thought bead locks weren’t dot approved as it was anyway?? Or did I read wrong

Most beadlocks are not DOT approved but it doesn't stop people from running them on the road including myself. There are a few companies which make DOT approved beadlocks. The non-approved wheels are not less safe it's just the DOT's approval process which can be quite expensive. I figure if race trucks and buggies can run them in the desert at 100+ mph I can drive on the freeway at 75..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo_penguin536

Most beadlocks are not DOT approved but it doesn't stop people from running them on the road including myself. There are a few companies which make DOT approved beadlocks. The non-approved wheels are not less safe it's just the DOT's approval process which can be quite expensive. I figure if race trucks and buggies can run them in the desert at 100+ mph I can drive on the freeway at 75..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

But you never know, what if a big rock flys up out of the ground and hits your rim just right and then you flip into oncoming traffic which causes 3 more teenagers to start smoking in California which then kills a baby seal in Alaska!?!?!? Not safe, not approved for on road use due to negligence [emoji23][emoji23]

Oreo_penguin536

But for real, and maybe it’s just me not understanding the process having never owned a pair, but I don’t get how internal bead locks would beat actual bolts and nuts much less work well[emoji851]🧐

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think CedarRaider is referring to the internal inflating style. The Hutchinson don't require any mods. And servicing them has been really easy for me. It just takes soapy water and a tire lever in several spots around the rim. My three year old helps me. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Which tire lever do you have? I still can separate my spare to replace a bad TPMS.

wjtstudios

Hooked
But for real, and maybe it’s just me not understanding the process having never owned a pair, but I don’t get how internal bead locks would beat actual bolts and nuts much less work well[emoji851]🧐

Most beadlocks sandwich the front bead with a plate locking the tire to the wheel on the on the outside only. Internal bead locks like the Hutcherson secure both beads with an inner rubber donut. There is 0 chance of blowing a bead. But a good chance of destroying a side wall if you don’t realize you’ve gone to 0 psi and keep driving when you think you still have 8 or so psi in there.

Oreo_penguin536

Most beadlocks sandwich the front bead with a plate locking the tire to the wheel on the on the outside only. Internal bead locks like the Hutcherson secure both beads with an inner rubber donut. There is 0 chance of blowing a bead. But a good chance of destroying a side wall if you don’t realize you’ve gone to 0 psi and keep driving when you think you still have 8 or so psi in there.

I have a feeling this is from experience[emoji23]

Top Bottom