Newbie guide to Moab

woof359

me and the better half are planning our first trip to Moab, were looking on tips on where to stay and things to do, gotta keep her happy so it wont be all driving the trails,

so those of you that have been there before were looking for a decent motel, places to eat and places to check out,

Thanks;)

farrier

Places to eat in moab are easy, I only found 1 place I'll never go back to and thats the Denny's there, most all the rest of the places have good foos and service

Esum2016

Dead horse point is a must. Love muffin muffins...get there early. Hike to delicate arch. Moab brewery has great local beer. Fisher towers is Georgia’s. Blue pig BBQ a great after trail meal and is dog friendly. There really is more to do, eat, explore than you can do in a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedRocker

1 - Forget the hotel and stay at a condo.
2 - Buy the Charles Wells guide to Moab 4x4 trails.
3 - Google things to do in Moab and you'll find many good web sites listing things to do/see.
4 - My favorite restaurants: Moab Dinner, Moab Brewery, Pasta Jays, Zaxs,

laffman

Was there for the first time in Sept. '16 with another couple, without our Jeeps. We rented RZRs. We were on Hurrah Pass for about 10 minutes when my buddy and I said we're going back with the Jeeps. Heading back in Sept. '18, with 3 more couples. We rented condos. There are so many choices for houses and condos to rent. Even with just the 2 of you, I wouldn't consider a hotel, rent a house or condo.

I second on getting the Charles Wells trail book. We picked one up last year in one of the visitor centers on the town's main strip. Great book. They are very cautious with their ratings of trails compared to other rates I've seen on the web. Here it is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513598317&sr=8-1&keywords=guide+to+moab+ut+backroads+%26+4-wheel-drive+trails+3rd+edition

The RZR rental place recommended doing Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners as a first trail, to get use to the terrain. We plan on doing them again on our first day on next year's trip. Even though some of us have already done those trails in RZRs, they are entirely new to the larger group we're going with in Jeeps. I think they're a great first pair of trails for someone new to Moab. You could them in a stock Jeep. And the scenery is amazing.

Here are a couple of great sites I've found for trail descriptions, in preparation for next year's trip.
  • https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ - Great trail descriptions, with good videos and for most trails turn by turn pictures. Free but you have to register to see the good stuff.
Both sites have trail GPS files you can download.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
1 - Forget the hotel and stay at a condo.
2 - Buy the Charles Wells guide to Moab 4x4 trails.
3 - Google things to do in Moab and you'll find many good web sites listing things to do/see.
4 - My favorite restaurants: Moab Dinner, Moab Brewery, Pasta Jays, Zaxs,

Excellent list of places to eat!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
One of the cool things is that there are tons of vacation house rentals. For about the same price as a motel you can have a house with garage / kitchen / bbq etc.. and they’re easy to find and book online.

Cold Gas

Dead horse point is a must. Love muffin muffins...get there early. Hike to delicate arch. Moab brewery has great local beer. Fisher towers is Georgia’s. Blue pig BBQ a great after trail meal and is dog friendly. There really is more to do, eat, explore than you can do in a lifetime.

Are you serious that Blue Pig BBQ is a dog friendly restaurant?
If so that's awesome and reminds me of Belize. lol

JeepJeep75

Are you serious that Blue Pig BBQ is a dog friendly restaurant?
If so that's awesome and reminds me of Belize. lol

Blue Pig is indeed dog friendly! Our ferocious mini dachshund was welcomed warmly. They even offered a doggie menu and brought out a bowl of water for our little guy. [emoji190][emoji7]

Cold Gas

That’s awesome I love it [emoji16]
Now it’s a must visit place for me and the pup.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Blue Pig is indeed dog friendly! Our ferocious mini dachshund was welcomed warmly. They even offered a doggie menu and brought out a bowl of water for our little guy. [emoji190][emoji7]

That is so cool. Sounds like the type of business I’d want to run some day. Dogs living in America have it good these days.

I’m following this thread closely as I plan to join the Texas Exodus trip out there this summer.

Cold Gas

I am heading down for Easter Jeep Safari. I am not really convinced this is a good time to go. Will likely be stupid busy and I am not a fan of crowds like that.
But I suppose that it’s must do it once kinda event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willys17

I’ll second Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corners as a good trail to get your feet wet. There’s also Willow Springs Road and Shafer Road to Potash Road to get in or out of the National Parks in a little more style than the main gates.

Family and I went to MOAB last EJS (going this year too). My son's favorite restaurant in the world is now the Moab Diner, but all the places we ate were excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Sunset Grill has good food and a cool atmosphere, especially if you snag a window seat but yikes its pricey! Moab Brewery was really good too but our favorite ended up being The Spoke on Center :thumb:

Top Bottom