bump stops

14JK-U

Friday night I completed a 2 day build, this morning is the first time ive seen the jeep in daylight since then. everything went really well, did the RK 1.5 stock mod w/ rancho 9000's all together I netted right around 2" of lift. flat fenders and 35x12.50x17 with fuel vector wheels I got a good deal on. 17x8.5 w/ 4.5 backspacing. during the install I put in 2" bump stops based on the fact ive always increased my bumps based on the amount of lift I gained (always did this on old TJ's). now that ive seen it I'm a little confused, I have about a 1.5" to 2" gap between my bumps and where they would contact to stop any up travel. but I have a 5.5" gap between the top of my tires and my fenders. was I right to do these bumps or should I have not put them in? the RK 1.5 stock mod didn't include them, maybe now I'm seeing why :idontknow: pictures will come later after work

EDIT: pictures are a little later than planned due to getting a new phone but here it finally is springs.jpg
will the stock yellow bumpers compress enough to give me some good flex? or should I rip out the lower 2" bumps?

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Friday night I completed a 2 day build, this morning is the first time ive seen the jeep in daylight since then. everything went really well, did the RK 1.5 stock mod w/ rancho 9000's all together I netted right around 2" of lift. flat fenders and 35x12.50x17 with fuel vector wheels I got a good deal on. 17x8.5 w/ 4.5 backspacing. during the install I put in 2" bump stops based on the fact ive always increased my bumps based on the amount of lift I gained (always did this on old TJ's). now that ive seen it I'm a little confused, I have about a 1.5" to 2" gap between my bumps and where they would contact to stop any up travel. but I have a 5.5" gap between the top of my tires and my fenders. was I right to do these bumps or should I have not put them in? the RK 1.5 stock mod didn't include them, maybe now I'm seeing why :idontknow: pictures will come later after work
You probably didn't need the bump stops since you cut your fenders. Not 💯 sure if anything else would get in the way, so maybe someone else will chime in.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Eroc147

I have a 2.5” lift with no front bump stops, flat fenders, and extended brake lines and have had no issues. That’s just my experience though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
bump added for picture attached to first post

I think your question has been answered already, but just in case not, I added lines to your picture below showing your ACTUAL mount of travel. That rubber part compresses like a pancake. So basically, a rough way to figure this out is to measure between these two lines, then measure your exposed shock shaft, and then measure your tire to fender clearance. The SHORTEST measurement of the 3 should be the space at the bump stop area. The bump stop pad should hit the metal cup prior to your shock bottoming out or prior to the tire hitting the fender.

springs.jpg

14JK-U

thanks WJCO, I knew they compressed but wasn't sure if they pancaked or not since Im always in the jeep when its flexing. thanks for the input, I measured it out a few days ago and it's right on the money now that I know they compress completely :drinks:

Top Bottom