Death to nutserts!!!

I have a single nutsert spinning in the WORST area right on the rear end of the rocker guard creating a gap. [emoji36]

IMG_0653.jpg

Any ideas?

Additionally, anyone using rubber behind their rockers between both metals? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Can you put pressure on the rocker forcing it to make contact with the body and thus possibly keeping the nutsert from spinning?

Couple suggestions I received before and after I did the nutsert ps on my Jeep. After drilling the hole paint or prime bare metal and then put a dab of gasket maker on the nutsert to help keep it in place for issues like you are experiencing. Other advice was to place some lube on the bolts so they keep water out of the nutsert and hopefully prevent it from seizing.

Last edited:

Gobicon2017

Hate them myself but a a must have item for aftermarket items. I’ve had to cut the head off of one., was not fun. Good luck. I’ve also heard of others putting a dab of jb weld to keep it from spinning.

SDG

Caught the Bug
The tool makes all the difference. Got a fancy one at work and it's amazing. $350 to install a .35c part is a little rediculious though.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The astro tool is awesome. I had one nutsert spin on me, but I put the astro tool on there for a second bite and gave it little more crimping and it held on. You might also want to try threading a tap into it if you dinged up the threads trying to get a bolt in there crooked.

I also used nutserts on my MPAC tailgate table instead of the chincy plastic things that were supposed to hold it.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If your willing to remove the rocker guard, take a drill bit that is the same diameter as the nutsert and slowly drill into it. If you go slow, you should be able to drill through the nutsert without messing up the holes in the body. Push the nutsert into the hole and fish it out. Then install a new nutsert.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Can you be more specific? Cut the bolt?

He cut the bolt shorter so it had fewer threads of engagement. So instead of the bolt going all the way through the rivnut and sticking out say .25" on the back side, it was flush with the back of the nut, or maybe only 3/4 of the way in.

At Michaels, you can buy a 12X12 inch sheet of thin foam with sticky on one side. I’ve used it on all my aftermarket parts on my Jeep. I even use some on a part for our half doors. No issues so far.

Remove all the other bolts and remove the skin. As others have stated, try to use an Astro tool and get it tight. Or, drill that one out and go a bigger nutsert. You will also have to go a bigger bolt and may have to cut the head of the bolt to fit the diameter that you need. Sucks!!

Ok, so despite the nutsert spinning, I managed to get the rocker armor off. At this point I need to keep it from spinning to do anything. I think the existing nutsert is still salvageable I’m thinking either JB Weld or just a quick tack of weld. Any thoughts?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Put the astro tool back on that nutsert and give it a good squeeze to crimp it more.

Ddays

Hooked
Put the astro tool back on that nutsert and give it a good squeeze to crimp it more.

Or drill it out and get rid of it if re-crimping it doesn't work. This may sound obvious but I've neglected to do many obvious things in my life: Try tightening the bolt all the way in BEFORE
you put the skin back on to verify it'll work. If not, drill the dirty little fucker out.

Top Bottom