In the Rubicon Buying Process NOW!

Dharmaroad

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Blk Rubicon JKU. I am getting it from Huntington Beach Jeep.
I might as well add another $7000 for Tera-flex 3 inch lift, cold intake, and exhaust, will put it into the deal. I will be financing the whole thing.
Yep, I'm jumping in with both feet, been wanting one for years.
A friend suggested to wait on the lift kit to ease my way in BUT If I'm buying a $40,000 Wrangler I want it to be set up the way I want.
My wife thinks Im a little crazy to drop that much money on a vehicle that doesn't work well as a daily driver but I'm ready and willing to have this as a Wayalife.

I haven't bought it yet, supposed to go in in the next few days to make it happen. I'm open to any feedback in the buying process

Thanks
DR

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would skip the CAI. They don’t add any performance, they risk allowing dirt into the engine, and they may compromise your warranty.

Re the lift, Teraflex has a bad reputation for quality and ride. I don’t know what your options are, but I would suspect a Mopar lift is one of them and it is probably better than the TF option.

Re the exhaust, I don’t think they add anything other and expense and noise. Lots of people complain about the drone of aftermarket exhausts. Consider what benefit you think you’re getting before you drop the money.

I would redirect the money from the CAI and exhaust and put it toward tires and maybe a regear if you’re going with larger tires.

WJCO

Meme King
I would skip the CAI. They don’t add any performance, they risk allowing dirt into the engine, and they may compromise your warranty.

Re the lift, Teraflex has a bad reputation for quality and ride. I don’t know what your options are, but I would suspect a Mopar lift is one of them and it is probably better than the TF option.

Re the exhaust, I don’t think they add anything other and expense and noise. Lots of people complain about the drone of aftermarket exhausts. Consider what benefit you think you’re getting before you drop the money.

I would redirect the money from the CAI and exhaust and put it toward tires and maybe a regear if you’re going with larger tires.

^Well said on all.

OP, It sounds like this is your first Jeep. I suggest get it out, use it, see what it's capable of. THEN make your modification decisions. There are so many options out there and so many people waiting to take your money. I can sadly say I have spend money two or more times on some of the same items on my Jeep and wished I would have slowed down and done it once and done it correctly.

black pearl

Hooked
Congratulations on getting s jeep!!
The rubicon out the box is more capable then most people think. Wheel it and see what Direction you want to go with it.
I can speak from experience with the taraflex lift. It will make the jeep ride like a dump truck. Ride quality is 100 percent subjective, but it's horrible! That being said I've bought two lifts for my jeep now because I didn't do enough research.

Happy jeeping

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Congrats on there Rubi! You are going to have so much fun with it. Driving, wheeling, and building!

Don’t add anything to it yet. You can do way better and $7k for that is about $5.5k too much. I’m sure the dealership would treat you like a king though, cause you’d be lining their pockets handsomely!

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I would buy a rubicon, then get it the hell away from the dealership as soon as possible. Then research and learn here and you'll find out what the "good" stuff to run is, learn more about your jeep, save money, and have a better rig in the end.

Are you sure you don't want a new JL? Dropping $40k now for a vehicle that's going to be out of date in a few months seems a little silly to me.

ROBnTANK

Skip all the add ons that the dealership wants to put on your Jeep. Like others have said just buy the Jeep, drive it, wheel it, then see what you need. Participate and read all the information this forum has to offer.

I have made the mistake also on my first Jeep. I put a Teraflex 3 inch suspension lift on and I regretted the whole time. After numerous amounts of reading I finally made the right choice and I cannot be happier.

desertrunner

As many have already said please don't waste your money on a terraflex lift without at least riding in one that has it installed first! It rides so hard and very very uncomfortable. My old rock krawler lift wasn't much better either but there are much better options out there. A lot of other people mentioned wheel it and see how it does first and I'm inclined to agree with them. My first jeep I bought I had your exact thought spend all the money all at once and have it done so I threw on a 3.5" lift and 37s, while yeah it was sweet and I climbed some awesome stuff I really had no finesse on the trail and just powered my way through everything. This time around my phase 1 and 2 is still leaving me on 33s and I am actually more excited for the challenge of seeing what I can do with it.

If I were you and you want bigger tires spend your money on a budget boost especially one like EVOs get yourself some 33s or 35s, and skid plates and get it out on the trails and you will be amazed what that jeep will be able to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Congrats on pulling the trigger! I went through the same thing recently and ended up with a 17 JKUR in July.... Have you thought about waiting for the 2018 JL to hit the dealer lots? All great advice here... as I am doing exactly that.... Enjoy the Jeep and slow build the right way. Best of Luck! :thumb:

DMF

Don’t pull the trigger. For that much money I would wait for the new JL. Also that dealer suck. I bought my Jeep there with the Mopar lift that they put on. And when I needed warranty work they would not cover the lift they installed. Basically the end links pulled all my brake lines down. Even if you don’t put the lift on yourself, 7k can buy you a really good lift and also pay someone else to put it on for you and you prob still have some money left over for tires.

Dharmaroad

Congrats on there Rubi! You are going to have so much fun with it. Driving, wheeling, and building!

Don’t add anything to it yet. You can do way better and $7k for that is about $5.5k too much. I’m sure the dealership would treat you like a king though, cause you’d be lining their pockets handsomely!

Oops I forgot to add that that includes wheels and tires.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
If you really like this Rubicon and can’t wait to get a brand new JL, then I would buy it but please do not let the dealership rip you off on these mods. You can easily spend $2-3,000 on these same mods and easily do them yourself (or with help from friends) if you really end up wanting them. I would make that decision after you’ve driven and wheel d your JKUR. I’ve had mine since 2010 and took it through moderate trails at Moab in its stock form and a hit several other trails out west and had an awesome time. Those experiences really let me get an idea of the mods that I wanted and actually thought I needed for how I use my JK.

That’s my two cents and I have to say I’ve learned a ton from the guys on this forum that have saved me thousands of dollars in useless and cheap mods...though I still learned the hard way with installing my JBA headers:sigh:...

Dharmaroad

Thanks so much for feedback. HB Jeep swear that Teraflex is top of the line they said Mopar helped develop those. Its the teraflex tuned shocks and coils 3 inch lift with trackbar.

Don't lose horsepower? He said the CAI and AFE power- exhaust- mach force xp will add 3%-7% back to my horsepower....
Its tricky, I don't want to get a crappy lift, Im hearing different opinions.

Dharmaroad

Congratulations on getting s jeep!!
The rubicon out the box is more capable then most people think. Wheel it and see what Direction you want to go with it.
I can speak from experience with the taraflex lift. It will make the jeep ride like a dump truck. Ride quality is 100 percent subjective, but it's horrible! That being said I've bought two lifts for my jeep now because I didn't do enough research.

Happy jeeping

Thanks for your help! I'm curious how long ago you got the Teraflex lift? I do not want a cheap crappy lift, I'll spend the money on good quality. What lift do you think is highest quality?

The guy at HB Jeep says that its top of line for them. Yes Currie makes a good lift but the Teraflex also has a really good warranty. Unfortunately I need to add some lift to the deal as I can pay it off. I know if I put the lift I will have more capability to do some more challenging rock climbing.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Thanks so much for feedback. HB Jeep swear that Teraflex is top of the line they said Mopar helped develop those. Its the teraflex tuned shocks and coils 3 inch lift with trackbar.

Don't lose horsepower? He said the CAI and AFE power- exhaust- mach force xp will add 3%-7% back to my horsepower....

I’m sure the dealership’s only interest is to make you happy.🤦*♂️

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
IMHO from a tight ass.

1. Do not let the dealer install your lift. These Jeeps are so easy to work on. I've even installed suspension parts in a parking lot. DO IT YOURSELF!

2. I would look at a EVO leveling kit or better yet the EVO basic 3" with control arms and add your shocks of choice.

3. I would not even bother with the exhaust. I have been running my stock since day one. I bet you would not even notice a 3-7% difference anyways. Why replace something that is perfectly fine.

or

4. Just drive the fucker. You will find out then what you really would need to change.

mackey

Thanks for your help! I'm curious how long ago you got the Teraflex lift? I do not want a cheap crappy lift, I'll spend the money on good quality. What lift do you think is highest quality?

The guy at HB Jeep says that its top of line for them. Yes Currie makes a good lift but the Teraflex also has a really good warranty. Unfortunately I need to add some lift to the deal as I can pay it off. I know if I put the lift I will have more capability to do some more challenging rock climbing.

I had Teraflex’s pre runner log arm kit on my 2012 Jeep. It was their top of the line suspension at the time. I was very disappointed. It was stiff as can be and drove like crap. Their bump stops are foam in a can. I don’t know what companies have kits out for the 2018s, but it would be worth waiting for Off Road Evolution or Genright Off Road to come up with something. Congrats on the Jeep.

fiend

Caught the Bug

The dealership’s job is to sell you stuff. Of course they’re going to say Teraflex is the best and the CAI/exhaust is going to help you. They are lying to you. And whatever you get from them is going to be overpriced anyway. I know it’s tempting to have the dealership do it all so you can finance the whole thing now. But take a step back and listen to what people here have told you. You will be overpaying for inferior and/or unnecessary stuff.

Top Bottom