Stabilitrak

Deankxf

So I just got the jeep aligned today, everything’s right on, steering wheel is perfectly straight, but stabilitrak still keeps applying brakes to the front end on turns, anything else causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
the stability control system sees one wheel spinning faster than the other and will apply the brakes assuming you are in some sort of slide.

once you change from the OEM tire size it affects it.

Make sure both tires are at the same tire pressure but better yet, disable the Stability control, you'll get a ESP warning at start up and a light on the dash but it'd better than having the system decide when it wants to apply the brakes.

If you have a Rubicon you should have a ESP switch to temporarily disable it, it'll reset each time you shut down.

Alternatively you can take it to the dealer to flash the ECU and disable it or do the steering wheel dance to permanently disable it.

BaddestCross

Larger tires should have no affect on the system. I'd check the connections and wires at each sensor to make sure they're tight and not frayed or damaged.

If they're good, then one of the sensors is probably bad. Buy one and swap out one at a time until you find the culprit or replace all 4.

There's probably a way to test the sensors with a meter, but I don't know what the readings are supposed to be.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I am having to same issue. I recently replaced both my unit bearings up front, so both front sensors are new. I began looking into the rear couple weeks ago, I started by cleaning the tone rings
Before
IMG_6119.jpg
After
IMG_6118.jpg
That didn’t fix it.
I ordered new sensors for the rear ($20 each), so far changed the rear drivers side. Still doing it, I know I have slightly bent shaft on that side as well. With closer inspection of the sensor I can see that the tone ring is making contact with the sensor itself. I wonder if that’s the cause of the abs engaging.
Here’s a shot of the sensor I took out on the side with a bent shaft
IMG_6195.jpg
IMG_6196.jpg

I still need to replace the rear passenger side sensor to see if that will fix it. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on this issue.

RedRocker

Did you happen to disconnect the steering shaft or pitman arm? I'm wondering if the steering wheel is 360 degrees out of sync.

J

JKDream

Did you happen to disconnect the steering shaft or pitman arm? I'm wondering if the steering wheel is 360 degrees out of sync.

That can't happen. The sector shaft only has three teeth and won't move out of sync.
If you installed it wrong you'd know as you'd have no steering to one side.

RedRocker

That can't happen. The sector shaft only has three teeth and won't move out of sync.
If you installed it wrong you'd know as you'd have no steering to one side.
Right. The only way it would happen is if the steering shaft had been disconnected from the gear box and spun before being reattached.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I just got the jeep aligned today, everything’s right on, steering wheel is perfectly straight, but stabilitrak still keeps applying brakes to the front end on turns, anything else causing this?

Bad speed sensor will do this as would a speed sensor cable that's chaffed and grounding out as it makes contact with something metal on turns.

Deankxf

the stability control system sees one wheel spinning faster than the other and will apply the brakes assuming you are in some sort of slide.

once you change from the OEM tire size it affects it.

Make sure both tires are at the same tire pressure but better yet, disable the Stability control, you'll get a ESP warning at start up and a light on the dash but it'd better than having the system decide when it wants to apply the brakes.

If you have a Rubicon you should have a ESP switch to temporarily disable it, it'll reset each time you shut down.

Alternatively you can take it to the dealer to flash the ECU and disable it or do the steering wheel dance to permanently disable it.

How can I disable it?

Deankxf

Larger tires should have no affect on the system. I'd check the connections and wires at each sensor to make sure they're tight and not frayed or damaged.

If they're good, then one of the sensors is probably bad. Buy one and swap out one at a time until you find the culprit or replace all 4.

There's probably a way to test the sensors with a meter, but I don't know what the readings are supposed to be.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I would hope they are good, my jeeps a 2017 with 4,xxx miles

Top Bottom