Lockers

BlackSheep01

Looking to buy a locker but not break the bank. On a budget and getting out of the military soon so I need to be saving for a house. But the wife gave me the green light for a few mods to my xj. I found a spartan locker. But I’ve always had an electric locker. Now does the spartan locker permantly lock my front end? Or can I engage and disengage?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Five-N9ne

The answer is neither. Spartan is a lunchbox-type locker, wherein in replaces the spider gears in an open differential with a racheting setup that activates when power goes to the axle. You won't be able to turn it "on" or "off" except through your use of the gas pedal. If you let off the gas the locker will rachet and behave like a normal open diff and will lock up when you hit the gas. I ran Aussies for years in every front axle of every Jeep I've had and they're great. If you get snow you're going to need to relearn how to drive in it, as the rig will now push through a turn more than usual. They are an excellent, much less expensive alternative to air lockers or e-locker, et cetera et cetera. I'd personally look at locking the rear first but that's my humble opinion.

Top Bottom