Bushwhacking Solo

spinned

IMG_8082.jpg

Ok yes so rule #1 is alway wheel with a buddy.

But I find myself solo more times than not. This time I bushwhacked 30 miles back to hidden lake. Just me and the snow all day. Only had a few pucker moments. One was where a snow covered log threw the jeep to the downhill bank... oh oh. I could have found myself nose down and down the bank. I was able to keep her on the road but it could have been a cold few days for me out in snowy nowhere.

We've all seen the "tools to carry thread", but what things do you take for solo emergencies.

black pearl

Hooked
View attachment 288356

But I find myself solo more times than not. This time I bushwhacked 30 miles back to hidden lake. Just me and the snow all day. Only had a few pucker moments. One was where a snow covered log threw the jeep to the downhill bank... oh oh. I could have found myself nose down and down the bank. I was able to keep her on the road but it could have been a cold few days for me out in snowy nowhere.

We've all seen the "tools to carry thread", but what things do you take for solo emergencies.

I find myself alone wheeling often as we. On with all the things I carry, I have emergency food and water kits (three small boxes under back seat) each box is a three day supply. Also a tinderbox, hatchet, folding shovel, TP, extra wind breaker and a tightly rolled fleece blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
View attachment 288356

Just imagine if your jeep failed you or got stuck. Do you have provisions to hike out 30 (or maybe 15? Not clear from your post) in the snow to get help? Your collection of tools should include whatever you’ll need for that. Extra food, water, means to start a fire, warm clothes, copy of Jack London’s To Build A Fire, etc.

WJCO

Meme King
I backpack solo more than Jeep, but with a jeep you can carry more. First safety tip I would recommend and ALWAYS do is tell someone where you'll be and when you plan on returning. I usually email a map to my wife if I'm exploring a new area. Always carry a minimum of 3 days worth of food and water (or a water filter if you know for 100% sure water will be in the area), a good shelter-in-place (clothes and sleeping bag), damn good boots and/or snowshoes if you have to hike out, a way to start a fire and some way to defend yourself if that presented itself.

spinned

I backpack solo more than Jeep, but with a jeep you can carry more. First safety tip I would recommend and ALWAYS do is tell someone where you'll be and when you plan on returning. I usually email a map to my wife if I'm exploring a new area. Always carry a minimum of 3 days worth of food and water (or a water filter if you know for 100% sure water will be in the area), a good shelter-in-place (clothes and sleeping bag), damn good boots and/or snowshoes if you have to hike out, a way to start a fire and some way to defend yourself if that presented itself.

Agreed. I use this app called "topo maps". It is all of the USGS maps. I think you can download them for anywhere in the country. I can easily put 100 full scale maps on my iPad and the gps will locate me on the map like navigation "without cell service". Cost me $7.00 I think, but it is cool because you can set pins to pre-plan your route that you plan to take and email it to your backup, wife or friend.

IMG_0674.jpg

Brute

Hooked
Like mentioned above, the ability to stay warm overnight...I always have a couple wool blankets and an emergency bivy in the truck for winter...and always carry my jet boil to melt snow or frozen water bottles (your water you carry may freeze overnight and not be drinkable)

Top Bottom