Newbie wants a lift for a JK

cangro408

Hey guys my name is John and I’ve had my Jeep since late august 2017 and I’ve been dying to put a lift on this bad boy. I’ve searched all over for the best one and I’m still not really sure what to go with. I’ve seen a lot of the Quadratec lifts that come with fox shocks they look nice and I want to be able to run 35s possibly in 2-3 years which is why i was looking at the 3.5” lifts. The prices are cheaper for the 2.5 inch lifts and I really don’t know what extra parts you need for the 3.5” to do it right and without any issues with getting a steering wobble or a drive shaft boot tear. I also don’t want to void my warranty if possible I’ll check with my dealer for that issue. If anyone has any advice or tips let me know i really wanna get the ball rolling with this. Also my budget is $500 and I know that’s not much so if i have to save some more i will but not trying to go over $900

Jeep Wrangler JK 2017 Willy’s Wheeler (stock)
Color: Gobi Tan
Rubicon Wheels black/ BF Goodrich M/T

IMG_7384.jpg IMG_7384.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 359

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
3.5” of lift is a LOT of lift for 35’s. 2” - 2.5” is a much better height but you do need to know that MOST 2.5” lift kits yield way more that 3”. At that height, you will run into issues sooner than later with a basic kit like this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

^^^This. So many times people will buy these lifts thinking they’re a great deal. Sooner rather than later you’ll be swapping it out or adding to it to correct problems it created. The EVO Enforcer 3” kit paired up with Rancho 9000’s is about the best all around kit for the money. It will give you all the complements you need and none of the extra junk others will sell you.

cangro408

3.5” of lift is a LOT of lift for 35’s. 2” - 2.5” is a much better height but you do need to know that MOST 2.5” lift kits yield way more that 3”. At that height, you will run into issues sooner than later with a basic kit like this.

wow that’s good to know btw what do you mean by “MOST 2.5” lift kits yield way more that 3””

cangro408

Evo leveling kit should meet all of your criteria and won't mess up your steering angles, control arm angles, nor driveshaft angle. You may have to trim your fenders a little depending on your exact setup once you get the larger tires, but the lift cost will be minimal and it's easy to install. A plus is that the ride is really nice with the new coils.

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-1-5-hd-leveling-kit-jk-jku/

i’ll check this out looks cool i’m just a little skeptical of the height i’ve seen a 2.5 inch in person and i like the height of that only reason i considered 3.5 is to accommodate the 35” tall tires

cangro408

^^^This. So many times people will buy these lifts thinking they’re a great deal. Sooner rather than later you’ll be swapping it out or adding to it to correct problems it created. The EVO Enforcer 3” kit paired up with Rancho 9000’s is about the best all around kit for the money. It will give you all the complements you need and none of the extra junk others will sell you.

are you talking about the evo leveling kit or the quadratec one

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
wow that’s good to know btw what do you mean by “MOST 2.5” lift kits yield way more that 3””

Spring lifts like what you are showing typically yield MORE than the lift being stated. That's not necessarily a problem but it is something you should be aware of. At 3" of lift or taller, your front drive shaft will have it's CV boot in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause the boot to fail. Also, if you run longer than factory shocks to go with that lift, it will allow for too much droop and your front drive shaft will tear its slip shaft boot on the exhaust cross over. These are just a couple of quick things you should be thinking about.

cangro408

Spring lifts like what you are showing typically yield MORE than the lift being stated. That's not necessarily a problem but it is something you should be aware of. At 3" of lift or taller, your front drive shaft will have it's CV boot in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause the boot to fail. Also, if you run longer than factory shocks to go with that lift, it will allow for too much droop and your front drive shaft will tear its slip shaft boot on the exhaust cross over. These are just a couple of quick things you should be thinking about.

ok now i understand and i’ve basically crossed off 3” lifts or larger after reading what you’ve guys said about them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok now i understand and i’ve basically crossed off 3” lifts or larger after reading what you’ve guys said about them

I should note that EVO is about the only company I know that has "true" 3" of lift with their coils over very close to it.

cangro408

I should note that EVO is about the only company I know that has "true" 3" of lift with their coils over very close to it.

IMG_7386.jpg IMG_7387.jpg

i found this lift another member has on their jk any opinions on this evo 2” lift in the front and 1” in the rear they’re apparently coils i tried to find the kit online but i didn’t have any luck also another question the leveling kit someone mentioned before are aftermarket shocks needed separate to this

Exodus 4x4

View attachment 288452 View attachment 288451

i found this lift another member has on their jk any opinions on this evo 2” lift in the front and 1” in the rear they’re apparently coils i tried to find the kit online but i didn’t have any luck also another question the leveling kit someone mentioned before are aftermarket shocks needed separate to this

I can get if for you. PM me when you’re ready.

rubiDave

Hey guys my name is John and I’ve had my Jeep since late august 2017 and I’ve been dying to put a lift on this bad boy. I’ve searched all over for the best one and I’m still not really sure what to go with. I’ve seen a lot of the Quadratec lifts that come with fox shocks they look nice and I want to be able to run 35s possibly in 2-3 years which is why i was looking at the 3.5” lifts. The prices are cheaper for the 2.5 inch lifts and I really don’t know what extra parts you need for the 3.5” to do it right and without any issues with getting a steering wobble or a drive shaft boot tear. I also don’t want to void my warranty if possible I’ll check with my dealer for that issue. If anyone has any advice or tips let me know i really wanna get the ball rolling with this. Also my budget is $500 and I know that’s not much so if i have to save some more i will but not trying to go over $900

I am in a similar predicament, I'd like to lift and upsize to 35s. But I don't want to make a choice based on cost alone and then have to do it all over. I've still got a lot of miles on my stock tires and still testing the capabilities of my Rubicon so I'm biding time for now.

Consider the cost of 5 new tires and wheels, then think twice about putting a cheap lift under your ride. Also consider the cost of all the other things that will be (eventually) needed to correct caster, axle position, replacing the front driveshaft. From everything I've seen there's no all inclusive 'turn-key' kit that meets my criteria.

There are a lot of testimonials here for the EVO enforcer 3" - which is what I'm keeping my eyes on. Just need to add shocks and a front driveshaft, maybe an adj front trackbar

Top Bottom