To flush or not too flush?

wadeh

What’s the consensus on doing a coolant flush? I have heard many people say that after doing a coolant flush other issues start to arise with the cooling system such as heater core, radiator issues etc.

I had the Chrysler dealership change my thermostat to resolve a low coolant temp engine light (which it did resolve). While they were doing this, they recommended a coolant flush with the 2012 Wrangler having 46,000 kms. I reluctantly agreed to do it. My reluctance was the cost and that I have heard of issues arising after a flush.

Two weeks later, my heater started blowing cold air, not cool or luke warm, but cold air. Outside temp -7 Celsius and temp gauge normal in middle and I could smell a slight smell of antifreeze. Turns out I have a hole in the backside of my radiator. Now it’s back at the dealership getting a new rad put in to the tune of $1000. (Unfortunately I do not have the means or time to do myself). Dealer said it’s possible a rock came up and hit fan and deflected into the rad. I suppose that is possible, but could it have been caused by the flush or is it a myth that flushing can cause issues?

Appreciate your thoughts...

Regards
Wade

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

flushing is normal maintenance... I've never once heard someone complain about a coolant flush. Thats like asking is it really necessary to change your oil. Holes in radiators happen for many reasons, most of them an object hitting them.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I would say that's a myth but I'm no expert. I did my own flush about a year and a half ago and I've had 0 issues. I would think that something did in fact hit the rad and caused a problem.

jeeeep

Hooked
I do a radiator flush every couple of years as preventive maintenance and to check the internal health of the radiator

It allows me to check for radiator rusting and if any leaks are being plugged by build up they'll show up.

Most leaks are usually a cause of something hitting it but there are the few that were caused by faulty radiators.

My buddy had his changed out under warranty after we discovered a leak while changing out the ball joints.

He didn't notice the leak as it was evaporating while driving, once we lifted the front end high enough for the ball joint install, the leaking fluid flowed out from the radiator cover shroud along the bottom. The hole in the radiator was on the backside, driver side about 3" up from the bottom of the radiator.
Hard for something to hit it there as it was covered by the shrouding but I suppose possible.

Top Bottom