Thinking of buying this Jeep. Input?

jeepsheets

Will be my first. Extra vehicle for fun weekend topless drives. I6 was replaced with another I6. Estimated 85k miles on replacement. 235k on odometer. 5spd. Needs valve cover gasket soon but not critical. Asking $5k. Any thoughts/Advice?

IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2345.jpg IMG_2346.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just be aware that you are buying someone’s project and will inheriting what he has done and how he maintained it. The leaking valve covers are notorious for that engine with high miles. Have a mechanic look over the drivetrain and engine. The body looks clean from the couple of pictures, but check the floor pans and frame for rust. Especially at the body mounts and spring mounts. Good luck!!

jeepsheets

Just be aware that you are buying someone’s project and will inheriting what he has done and how he maintained it. The leaking valve covers are notorious for that engine with high miles. Have a mechanic look over the drivetrain and engine. The body looks clean from the couple of pictures, but check the floor pans and frame for rust. Especially at the body mounts and spring mounts. Good luck!!

He has receipt where he spent about $1600 on new clutch, pressure plate, and a few other incidentals last year. Adult owned, seems well maintained. Thanks for advice on rust locations. Will check those out.

CharlesC

Looks clean[emoji106] ^^^for sure what wjtstudios said^^^Seller happen to have 4 more tires to match the spare? If the spare is not the same size, you will not want to use that as a spare. ---Good price though[emoji482]

jeepsheets

Looks clean[emoji106] ^^^for sure what wjtstudios said^^^Seller happen to have 4 more tires to match the spare? If the spare is not the same size, you will not want to use that as a spare. ---Good price though[emoji482]

Not sure of story behind different spare, but no extras available... There’s no rust anywhere. Hasn’t seen much salt, been a GA Jeep most of its life. I typically try to talk myself out of things like this but I’m having a hard time finding any negatives. I really want a Jeep to play around in and teach my kids to drive stick.

Pulled up a carfax and it shows one minor incident and nothing else.

Think I’m gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Looks like a good deal. But I would try to talk him down a few hundred dollars. Most prices aren't firm.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Price looks fair to me. 4.0, AX-15, straight body, good top and half doors. Many people find a random tire for a spare. I saw it all the time in SC. Still look for rust and listen to engine when it’s hot at normal operating temp. Sometimes you won’t hear a rod knock until the engine gets hot.

CharlesC

Not sure of story behind different spare, but no extras available... There’s no rust anywhere. Hasn’t seen much salt, been a GA Jeep most of its life. I typically try to talk myself out of things like this but I’m having a hard time finding any negatives. I really want a Jeep to play around in and teach my kids to drive stick.

Pulled up a carfax and it shows one minor incident and nothing else.

Think I’m gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for the input!

Good deal! On the spare, just make sure it's the same size[emoji106]
Welcome to the passion of jeeps! Before you know it, your kids will want one of their own[emoji23]

kyle521

$5k is a lot for a yj with those miles for around me in the northeast. For that price you can get a nice stock 6 cylinder TJ and do what you want with it.

jeepsheets

$5k is a lot for a yj with those miles for around me in the northeast. For that price you can get a nice stock 6 cylinder TJ and do what you want with it.

I’ve searched high and low for Jeeps around $5k with I6 of all years and don’t find many at all... looking on autotrader, Craigslist, different forums. Body has 235k but engine only about 85k. Has new top, seats, wheels, clutch... am I looking in the wrong places? I’m in GA, most are in the $8-10k range at around 150k miles...???

kyle521

I’ve searched high and low for Jeeps around $5k with I6 of all years and don’t find many at all... looking on autotrader, Craigslist, different forums. Body has 235k but engine only about 85k. Has new top, seats, wheels, clutch... am I looking in the wrong places? I’m in GA, most are in the $8-10k range at around 150k miles...???

Like I said, I'm in the northeast. Different areas have different prices.

Here's an example: https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/97-tj-wrangler/6440456887.html

Last edited:

jeepsheets

Like I said, I'm in the northeast. Different areas have different prices.

Here's an example: https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/97-tj-wrangler/6440456887.html

Thanks for the info and the link. That helped a lot. I feel pretty good about where I’m headed... my prospect has less body miles and the replacement motor is almost identical, but already installed in the one I’m considering. With the new seats, transmission, etc., I think I’ve found a winner.

Thanks again for the info on jeeps in your area. This is definitely one I wouldn’t have found on my own and is a great comparison for me.

Top Bottom