Gears for Dana 30/44 no rubi

cocokrispes

Hey guys.

I want to upgrade my gears for my 2014 JKUsport. currently im running 3:21's. I want to know if these are worth it or is there something better.

Someone here locally has these for sale brand new, unopened set of the below (Motive Gear 4:88).

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-gear-dana-30-44-gear-package-and-install-kit

I'm not planning on upgrading to a Dana 44 front anytime soon, but i have to replace the 3:21's.
I am also considering doing ARB locker on the rear at the same time.

Any input would really help.

PS. not a daily driver

pedroj14

I do not have any reference of Motive Gears. I have been running Yukon 4:88 for about a year and have not had any issues.

This would certainly be the right time to install a locker since you are removing the carrier to regear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on what size tire you're hoping to run. 4.88 is a good ratio for 35's.

Oh, and you would NEED to either install a new carrier or locker to make this work so the ARB you're wanting would be a good thing.

Exodus 4x4

I’ll add that if you’re going to be putting a locker in the rear and can afford to spend a some extra money on axle shafts, you might as well go 35 spline.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there anything else I should look into? Along with these gears and the rear locker?
I don't want to have to waste money on labor .

If you're only installing a rear locker, you will still need to get a new carrier to accommodate the higher ratio gear. Of course, being that you're already paying for labor, I would highly recommend installing an ARB up front as well. That or a TruTrac.

I’ll add that if you’re going to be putting a locker in the rear and can afford to spend a some extra money on axle shafts, you might as well go 35 spline.

This ^^^. A very nice upgrade to have on a non-Rubicon 44 rear.

WJCO

Meme King
A lot of shops will not do the axle seals when they do the gears. For the front, I would definitely ask them to do that at the same time if you're keeping your 30 for awhile. It will be a little extra labor, but they'll already have the carrier out which is a majority of the labor expense.

As far as the rear, those can be done at any time really, not as much involved.

badandy1

Is there anything else I should look into? Along with these gears and the rear locker?
I don't want to have to waste money on labor .

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

As far as added costs of doing this yourself? Motive Gear Install kits do not come with carrier bearings or pinion bearings. I highly recommend news ones. If you have a carrier/pinion bearing puller setup, you could save the originals. These tools are typically 500-600.00. Also a hydraulic press will be required to install all of the bearings. Also needed is a dial indicator with a magnetic base to measure backlash and a set of calipers to measure and record original shim thicknesses. Add last, an inch pound torque wrench to measure pinion bearing pre-load.
Almost forgot, you will need to come up with the means of holding the pinion yokes while torquing the pinion yoke nuts and crush sleeves. That's a fun one! I'd suggest a tour of youtube before you make the decision to try it on your own. There are some good videos of methods for do the pinion nuts.

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
A lot of shops will not do the axle seals when they do the gears. For the front, I would definitely ask them to do that at the same time if you're keeping your 30 for awhile. It will be a little extra labor, but they'll already have the carrier out which is a majority of the labor expense.

As far as the rear, those can be done at any time really, not as much involved.

^^^ This get a full rebuild kit with new seals, and bearings, unless you don't plan on upgrading to a better front axles. Leave it open and save that cash for a better axles, if not, TrueTrac is a good relatively cheap choice for that D30

cocokrispes

Thanks all for the input. I really appreciate it. This my first time for getting gears done. It's alot more involved than I originally thought.
I look forward to get it all done soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedRocker

When I went to 35s on my 2007 JKU (D30/D44) I re-geared from 4.10 to 4.88. I was able to use my existing carriers. Later I added ARBs. I sold the axles last year and upgraded to ProRock 60s.

The 4.88 was perfect from my 3.8l.

Check out the JK gear chart for the 3.6l so you are aware of the RPM you'll be running with 4.88s. Could be a bit high on the highway.

kingdyj

if you do it yourself you're going to have to buy a set of cheap bearings for set up bearings. Bleepinjeep has an amazing tool for holding pinions...[emoji1] its 39.99 works on alot of diff yokes
I apologize if I'm not allowed to say that stores name here I'm just trying to be helpful
Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I want to upgrade my gears for my 2014 JKUsport. currently im running 3:21's. I want to know if these are worth it or is there something better.

Someone here locally has these for sale brand new, unopened set of the below (Motive Gear 4:88).

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-gear-dana-30-44-gear-package-and-install-kit

I'm not planning on upgrading to a Dana 44 front anytime soon, but i have to replace the 3:21's.
I am also considering doing ARB locker on the rear at the same time.

Any input would really help.

PS. not a daily driver

I have 4:88 in mine right now and they are motive gear and they have been great, i would recommend as-well as doing the locker at the same time, and also please don't purchase from north ridge 4x4 they are crooks and they don't have any customer service, the owner responds and denys everything and send used parts.

Top Bottom