37's, Axles and upgrades

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Hey all, I'm considering what I should do for when I go to 37" tires. From what I've read, it seems like at a minimum I should upgrade the axle shafts on my '16 Rubicon. Is that correct or not? I don't see going to 40's for a couple of years at least. I've got 4.88's and I think I'll be happy with that ...

I know there is a ton of experience and I'd really like to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
5.13's would be the right ratio for 37's but 4.88 isn't that far off and I think you'll be okay with them. Chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something you'll probably want sooner or later but I don't think you'd need to rush into them if you're on a budget. Your driver side shaft will be the first to go but I had gotten 80,000 miles out of my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it and still keep it as a spare. If you keep playing hard, you will bend rear shaft flanges and I would recommend Revolution for that if only because they're made in the USA and offer such a great warranty.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
5.13's would be the right ratio for 37's but 4.88 isn't that far off and I think you'll be okay with them. Chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something you'll probably want sooner or later but I don't think you'd need to rush into them if you're on a budget. Your driver side shaft will be the first to go but I had gotten 80,000 miles out of my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it and still keep it as a spare. If you keep playing hard, you will bend rear shaft flanges and I would recommend Revolution for that if only because they're made in the USA and offer such a great warranty.

Thanks Eddie.
I'll keep the 5.13 in mind for the future. I'll also look into Revolution. I also like the idea of having a spare set of axles. The budget isn't too big a deal but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Since I'm really just getting into all this seriously and wanting to do as much of the work myself as I can ( so I know how to fix it when I break it), are the shaft flanges something I can do myself or not?

BTW, great job on the axle write ups!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie.
I'll keep the 5.13 in mind for the future. I'll also look into Revolution. I also like the idea of having a spare set of axles. The budget isn't too big a deal but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Since I'm really just getting into all this seriously and wanting to do as much of the work myself as I can ( so I know how to fix it when I break it), are the shaft flanges something I can do myself or not?

BTW, great job on the axle write ups!!

I wouldn't worry too much about 5.13 unless you're going to upgrade axles. If keep playing hard, this is something that will be on your to do list. For me personally, I would throw as little money as possible at your factory axle and save up for something like a ProRock 44 up front. Bend flanges on rear shafts cannot be fixed.

Tumbleweed

FYI the axle shafts on the Rubicon are different lengths, Right vs. Left. On the non-Rubicon versions both sides are the same. It's nice to only have one size to carry as a spare.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
For me personally, I would throw as little money as possible at your factory axle and save up for something like a ProRock 44 up front.

So if I understand your thoughts, if the money is there, skip the shaft upgrade and go to ProRock 44 when I'm ready for 37's .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I understand your thoughts, if the money is there, skip the shaft upgrade and go to ProRock 44 when I'm ready for 37's .

That's what I did. I ran my factory front 44 until it needed to be replaced and then got a ProRock 44 for a Rubicon as that allowed me to recycle my factory internals. You can save a bundle that way.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
That's what I did. I ran my factory front 44 until it needed to be replaced and then got a ProRock 44 for a Rubicon as that allowed me to recycle my factory internals. You can save a bundle that way.

And there's nothing wrong with saving a bundle:thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
If you end up going with a ProRock 44 front, you can also get the front chromoly shafts at the same time from Dynatrac. This is only if you go with a conventional locker. If you go with the Rubicon elocker, Dynatrac shafts won't work.

Exodus 4x4

If you end up going with a ProRock 44 front, you can also get the front chromoly shafts at the same time from Dynatrac. This is only if you go with a conventional locker. If you go with the Rubicon elocker, Dynatrac shafts won't work.

There’s other ways of getting a PR44 with the chromoly shafts and the factory locker[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
If you seriously think you will go to 40s, I’d say skip the PR44 and skip putting money into your stock axles. Just save for 40s and go straight there when you have the $15k to drop. I know several guys who did the PR44 / 37s step and before long sold the set up for a loss and invested in 60s and 40s.

FallonJeeper

From my experience 4.88 is a great compromise for offroad and highway performance with 37" tires on a 2016 Rubicon. The Rubicon has the Dana 44 axles and are plenty strong and will last until you upgrade.

Also the 4:1 transfer case works well with the 4.88 and 37" combination.

But 37" is the limit. If you go 40s, as indicated above you'll want more gear and 60s for axles

Last edited:

dillard09

I know a guy that is going to 60s and will have a pr44 and PR60SF with ARBs, and 5.13 for sale not to far in the future. If you would be interested in a setup like that.
Also possible a pr44 with Rubi internals and a hi pinion Pr60FF with ARB and 5.38 setup for DTD closer to the summertime for sale.
Both setup would be great for 37s.
What motor do you have? 3.6 or 3.8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

I know a guy that is going to 60s and will have a pr44 and PR60SF with ARBs, and 5.13 for sale not to far in the future. If you would be interested in a setup like that.
Also possible a pr44 with Rubi internals and a hi pinion Pr60FF with ARB and 5.38 setup for DTD closer to the summertime for sale.

Just go ahead and put them up for sale why don’t cha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug

If you have a FF60 in back why ditch that? Can’t it handle 40s?

Top Bottom