Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 37's, Axles and upgrades

Been Around the Block Clearskies's Avatar

37's, Axles and upgrades

Hey all, I'm considering what I should do for when I go to 37" tires. From what I've read, it seems like at a minimum I should upgrade the axle shafts on my '16 Rubicon. Is that correct or not? I don't see going to 40's for a couple of years at least. I've got 4.88's and I think I'll be happy with that ...

I know there is a ton of experience and I'd really like to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance

5.13's would be the right ratio for 37's but 4.88 isn't that far off and I think you'll be okay with them. Chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something you'll probably want sooner or later but I don't think you'd need to rush into them if you're on a budget. Your driver side shaft will be the first to go but I had gotten 80,000 miles out of my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it and still keep it as a spare. If you keep playing hard, you will bend rear shaft flanges and I would recommend Revolution for that if only because they're made in the USA and offer such a great warranty.

^^^this^^^

Revolution is great and they stand behind their products. Like every mod, it all depends on what kind and how hard you wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    5.13's would be the right ratio for 37's but 4.88 isn't that far off and I think you'll be okay with them. Chromoly shafts with full circle clips is something you'll probably want sooner or later but I don't think you'd need to rush into them if you're on a budget. Your driver side shaft will be the first to go but I had gotten 80,000 miles out of my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it and still keep it as a spare. If you keep playing hard, you will bend rear shaft flanges and I would recommend Revolution for that if only because they're made in the USA and offer such a great warranty.
    Thanks Eddie.
    I'll keep the 5.13 in mind for the future. I'll also look into Revolution. I also like the idea of having a spare set of axles. The budget isn't too big a deal but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Since I'm really just getting into all this seriously and wanting to do as much of the work myself as I can ( so I know how to fix it when I break it), are the shaft flanges something I can do myself or not?

BTW, great job on the axle write ups!!

if you haven't already, adding braces to your inner C's is also a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Clearskies View Post
    Thanks Eddie.
    I'll keep the 5.13 in mind for the future. I'll also look into Revolution. I also like the idea of having a spare set of axles. The budget isn't too big a deal but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Since I'm really just getting into all this seriously and wanting to do as much of the work myself as I can ( so I know how to fix it when I break it), are the shaft flanges something I can do myself or not?

BTW, great job on the axle write ups!!
    I wouldn't worry too much about 5.13 unless you're going to upgrade axles. If keep playing hard, this is something that will be on your to do list. For me personally, I would throw as little money as possible at your factory axle and save up for something like a ProRock 44 up front. Bend flanges on rear shafts cannot be fixed.

FYI the axle shafts on the Rubicon are different lengths, Right vs. Left. On the non-Rubicon versions both sides are the same. It's nice to only have one size to carry as a spare.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    For me personally, I would throw as little money as possible at your factory axle and save up for something like a ProRock 44 up front.
    So if I understand your thoughts, if the money is there, skip the shaft upgrade and go to ProRock 44 when I'm ready for 37's .

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    FYI the axle shafts on the Rubicon are different lengths, Right vs. Left. On the non-Rubicon versions both sides are the same. It's nice to only have one size to carry as a spare.
    Unfortunately, I'll have to carry a set

Quote Originally Posted by Clearskies View Post
    So if I understand your thoughts, if the money is there, skip the shaft upgrade and go to ProRock 44 when I'm ready for 37's .
    That's what I did. I ran my factory front 44 until it needed to be replaced and then got a ProRock 44 for a Rubicon as that allowed me to recycle my factory internals. You can save a bundle that way.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast