Ford Super Duty Axle Swap

I saw an ad for a set of super duty axles and was wondering if anyone has done the Artec Industries swap kit? I was also wondering what all else I would need if I went this route, I know I would need new drive shafts and gears, but what else? Also what are some of the cons of the axle/ this swap/ etc?

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I saw an ad for a set of super duty axles and was wondering if anyone has done the Artec Industries swap kit? I was also wondering what all else I would need if I went this route, I know I would need new drive shafts and gears, but what else? Also what are some of the cons of the axle/ this swap/ etc?
One thing to consider is the size of the pumpkin. Chances are, it's going to hang lower.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have read that the rear drive shaft flange of the Ford sterling rear axle will hit your gas tank.

metalic

Facebook add for $2,000 in Colorado?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Talking with a guy in Moab who did his own F250 front axle swap- he said after all the pain, trouble, and money, he could have nearly bought a dynatrac and had better clearance. He didn't recommend it.

Exodus 4x4

How does he fit the sterling? Change to genright gas tank?

I move the pumpkin, but that’s not something just anyone can do. Not that I’m better than anyone else but because it requires special tools and jigs. Honestly it’s a lot of work to do yourself and to build them up to a level comfortable running 40’s, it isn’t cheap. The nice thing about it is the Sterling 10.5 is a real beast and larger than a D60, and depending on the locker choice there is a shave kit for it just the 14 bolts.

I’m currently running them on mine and love them. Zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
What’s the benefit over a 14 bolt? I guess one is you don’t need to change from 8x6.5 to 8x170mm, but how hard is that?

I see why people do the shave kit on the 14 bolt, but if you’re shaving the sterling too then that’s a wash.

metalic

I move the pumpkin, but that’s not something just anyone can do. Not that I’m better than anyone else but because it requires special tools and jigs. Honestly it’s a lot of work to do yourself and to build them up to a level comfortable running 40’s, it isn’t cheap. The nice thing about it is the Sterling 10.5 is a real beast and larger than a D60, and depending on the locker choice there is a shave kit for it just the 14 bolts.

Retube it to shift center over? Why not just go 14b?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

What’s the benefit over a 14 bolt? I guess one is you don’t need to change from 8x6.5 to 8x170mm, but how hard is that?

I see why people do the shave kit on the 14 bolt, but if you’re shaving the sterling too then that’s a wash.

This thread can wear you out with all the different options. You don’t have to do shave kits. I didn’t on mine and I never have an issue hitting my diff.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Grubicon has a nice write up on his axle swap. Also beware of early SD axles because they also offered the Dana 50 for a front axle option. I still think he ended up forking out $9-$10k on the swap. Plus the jeep was down for a long time.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Theirs a shave kit for the sterlings now.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I keep going back and forth on what I want to do. My new work schedule is 8 on and 6 off. So I would have the time to do it. If I do do them, i plan on doing a 05+ sd axle and 14 bolt rear.

My opinion if you do go with sd axles. Look for a set from an 05+. They have bigger tubes, inners and outer splines are 35. I believe the ring is bigger as well in the 05s

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Lol, basically.

It’s just one of those things you don’t do unless you have the time and means to do 100% of the work yourself like we do. It also helps being able to source all the parts at dealers cost which is also something most people can’t do.

Yup. Not to mention you would be putting 15 year old axles in a brand new vehicle. The average joe wouldn’t know how to tell if anything is bent with the axle. It’s not worth it if you are looking to save money.

Exodus 4x4

I keep going back and forth on what I want to do. My new work schedule is 8 on and 6 off. So I would have the time to do it. If I do do them, i plan on doing a 05+ sd axle and 14 bolt rear.

My opinion if you do go with sd axles. Look for a set from an 05+. They have bigger tubes, inners and outer splines are 35. I believe the ring is bigger as well in the 05s

Yes and no. The 05+ has 35 spline outer stubs but require a TON more work and will also be 8x170 bolt pattern. The 04 and down have 30 spline outer stubs, can built a lot faster and easier, and will be 8x6.5 bolt pattern. If someone wants me to build them a set I recommend going with the 04 down axles and installing be Dynatrac free spin kit. This does a few things.
1) Eliminates the unit bearing
2) Keeps the stock ABS tooth count so you can continue to use a ProCal if you want
3) Gives you a 35 spline outer

Top Bottom