5th Gear Won’t stay in...

jeepsheets

94 with 6 cyl... 170k.

Will go into 5th, but pops out. Runs fine in all other gears. I’m told it could be a retaining clip...???

Local tranny shop told me to drop tranny, do any basic repair and reinstall tranny would run about $1k. Sounded really damn high to me but I’m no mechanic.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You ever rebuild a trans? its annoying and a pain in the ass + labor. Parts are cheap and plentiful you can find an entire trans and swap it in, change your clutch and your rear main seal while its out.

WJCO

Meme King
You ever rebuild a trans? its annoying and a pain in the ass + labor. Parts are cheap and plentiful you can find an entire trans and swap it in, change your clutch and your rear main seal while its out.

Agreed. With today's online resources, you can get a used or reman trans with a warranty and it's way more cost-effective.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok, thanks. Any recommendations on where to buy or where to avoid?

LKQ, PARTMYRIDE, Jasper, or any eBay junkyard with a good seller rating. Those are usually pretty good. You will likely get a better warranty with a reman through an auto parts store but it's usually a little higher.

jeepsheets

LKQ, PARTMYRIDE, Jasper, or any eBay junkyard with a good seller rating. Those are usually pretty good. You will likely get a better warranty with a reman through an auto parts store but it's usually a little higher.

Ok.

Is there any chance this is just a simple fix, without me having to replace the tranny? All other gears are great, no sign of other problems... or am I kidding myself and it needs a new tranny? Thanks.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Ok.

Is there any chance this is just a simple fix, without me having to replace the tranny? All other gears are great, no sign of other problems... or am I kidding myself and it needs a new tranny? Thanks.

Try putting in some Royal purple snchro fluid. Also if you want to do the labor I just rebuild a 3550 and it cost 150 for the kit plus my time and was hard, but cost effective.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

Hold up. Before you go replacing the whole trans, check the Detents. This is the part that holds the trans in gear. The syncros don't do that! Syncros allow for a smooth shift in and out of each individual gear. The detents hold it in gear. There is one detent for each gear. That my friend is where you need to start.

jeepsheets

Hold up. Before you go replacing the whole trans, check the Detents. This is the part that holds the trans in gear. The syncros don't do that! Syncros allow for a smooth shift in and out of each individual gear. The detents hold it in gear. There is one detent for each gear. That my friend is where you need to start.

Perfect. Thank you!

I’m seeing the Jeep for the first time today, hoping to decide if it’s a project I wanna take on. Body says it’s a 6cyl but pic of Engine says it’s a 4. I’m assuming the 6 was replaced with a 4. Not sure why anyone would do that, but could that be part of the detent/transmission issue?

BobNH

I would do some more research. If it was a 6cyl, it had the ax15 trans. If it was a 4cyl, it had the ax5. If they swapped a 4 in place of the 6, there is a chance they swapped the trans too as supposedly they are not interchangeable. I do not know enough to cerify that. I do know it has 170k, and apparently dubious lineage, so I would keep lioking at this point. But, it could be an amazing deal leaving you a ton of room in the budget to fix a variety of issues that are already there like the trans, but is it worth it financially for a 170k vehicle?
Good luck

BobNH

Oh, I should also note, if they did indeed swap the 4 in place of a 6, insane as that is as you noted, you will not gain the only benefit to buying a 4cyl wrangler which is that it comes with 4.10 gears in the axle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wait you don’t own it? Dude if you’re not a mechanic or at least willing to learn and do some wrenching this is not the place to start. Especially if it’s a bastardized project with drivetrain and wiring swaps. There are plenty of yj’s on the market that have functional drive trains.

Top Bottom