This Jeep, This Engine???

jeepsheets

IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2364.jpg

94 with body that clearly shows it came with a 6 cyl, but pic of the Engine by seller shows a 4 cyl. Why would you put a 4 in an original 6? Does this kill resale value?

That IS a 4 cyl Engine, isn’t it??

Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

laffman

Yes it is a 4 cyl. Yes it does hurt the resale value a little bit. But a PO could have swapped the tub from a 4.0 YJ or just slapped on a 4.0 sticker. Decode the VIN to see what it originally was. The 8th digit in the VIN is the engine code. If it's "E", the 4 cyl was original. I'm 100% sure the 4 cyl was original. Don't know why anyone would swap out a 6 for a 4.

jeepsheets

Yes it is a 4 cyl. Yes it does hurt the resale value a little bit. But a PO could have swapped the tub from a 4.0 YJ or just slapped on a 4.0 sticker. Decode the VIN to see what it originally was. The 8th digit in the VIN is the engine code. If it's "E", the 4 cyl was original. I'm 100% sure the 4 cyl was original. Don't know why anyone would swap out a 6 for a 4.

If the tub has been swapped, the VIN on the dash still should follow the original build, correct? Any way to know what year the current tub is from? Wouldn’t I need to know that for ordering new tops, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

laffman

Use the VIN on your title to check. The VIN plate in the dash should match if the the swap was done right, but could be a mismatch if they didn't. For the tub, check the VIN plate on the firewall in the engine compartment to see if it's different from your title or the dash VIN. If different, you can use this to determine the year of the tub. But it doesn't matter. All YJ bodies are the same. So the tops for a YJ fit all '87-'95 YJs.

BobNH

IIRC, the VIN is also on the engine. All should match if it was original.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom