Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler JK EGR Replacement

checked wires. good. checked obd again. threw a cat converter code now instead of cyl6missfire. wth? befuddled...cleared codes. driving and waiting for cel again.

Quote Originally Posted by JDDK View Post
    checked wires. good. checked obd again. threw a cat converter code now instead of cyl6missfire. wth? befuddled...cleared codes. driving and waiting for cel again.
    Not uncommon to have a cat code with a misfire because of excessive unburned fuel going into the cat. Swap the #6 wire with one right next to it (switch both ends of each wire). When engine light comes back on, if misfire moves to that other cylinder, then the wire is bad. If not, something else is.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Just finished egr replacement, plugs and wires. Just want to say thank you for the write up as it made the job a lot easier than it could have been!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Just finished my EGR valve install. God damn, that was a pain in the ass. The bolts were so seized I almost stripped the head off one. I ended up using the handle of my hilift in order to get more torque, and that definitely helped. I didn't find this write-up until I was trying to unplug the connector...the locking tab was an annoyance I didn't anticipate, so reading that it was a sliding tab was very helpful.

For those who attempt this job in the future...pull the tire and the fender liner. I didn't, and it caused more trouble than it was worth.

OK, CEL came back on after replacing egr a few months back. kept clearing it and it was persistent. After repeated hope that oreillys just sold me a bad unit, i bought another one to swap out. Me and that bolt are getting to know each other intimately. oreillys gave me full credit for a return on the old and so far so good. This time I had it out and in around 30 minutes. removed that vent tube and cleaned all the crud out of it too.

Yesterday I had the "dubious" honor of joining the brotherhood of the EGR (2011 JKUR auto)...

One tip I would add, pertaining to that super hard to reach bolt on the back of the valve:

For awhile I was fighting with various wrenches, etc. to try and get a good bite on that bolt, all the while being scared to death that I was going to round it off (as many have). I decided a socket would be the only reliable solution but the dipstick tube was too close even after some "coaxing" with a pry bar. Then I noted that the tube is attached to a bracket directly behind the valve. Rather than risk damage to the tube, I was pretty easily able to get a good sized pry bar on that bracket and move the whole thing almost to the firewall. At this point I was easily able to get a flex-head wrench and socket on that back bolt and safely remove it.

edit: I did use a sizable cheater on the socket wrench.

Not that it didn't suck but it certainly sucked less. Good luck!

Well that lasted 3 months. Pretty pissed that I get to become a real "expert" at this apparently. Any recommendations on actual quality parts? Tempted to put this one through the window at O'reilly.

I replaced with an oreilly egr valve. CEL went off for a while, came back on, went off and has stayed off.

Take a long drive or two and see if it goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234