Suspension Noise...

KotaClewis

Hey everybody! I've gone and changed all four of my original shocks. They were 200k miles old and totally shot. But now I think my new aftermarket shocks are causing noises. Well at least one is. The rear left of the Jeep is making a loud and annoying clunking noise that everyone who rides in my car hears and asks about. It clunks when I go over any little bump and I can't figure out why. Everyone who rides with me notices it and turns up the radio to drown it out.

To test it I took that rear shock off and drove around the block over a couple speed bumps and the noise didn't show up at all.

Does anybody know why in the world this noise would be happening??? I searched this and most people say it's a sway bar link or the A-Arm bushing(?) In other forums. But it wasn't making noises without the shock. I don't get it.

Dakota

WJCO

Meme King
Hey everybody! I've gone and changed all four of my original shocks. They were 200k miles old and totally shot. But now I think my new aftermarket shocks are causing noises. Well at least one is. The rear left of the Jeep is making a loud and annoying clunking noise that everyone who rides in my car hears and asks about. It clunks when I go over any little bump and I can't figure out why. Everyone who rides with me notices it and turns up the radio to drown it out.

To test it I took that rear shock off and drove around the block over a couple speed bumps and the noise didn't show up at all.

Does anybody know why in the world this noise would be happening??? I searched this and most people say it's a sway bar link or the A-Arm bushing(?) In other forums. But it wasn't making noises without the shock. I don't get it.

Dakota

Could be a bad shock, but also could be that it's not secure when tightened, hard to say. My first thought would have been your A-arm ball joint as well. Really common symptom that goes along with that.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

Dakota

What brand is your new shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Could just be the brand of shock. If you are going with only stock replacements, kyb has been gaining steam with their performance oem replacements. Of course finding rancho shocks with the right dimensions would do the trick as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

tunafed

I had the same problem when I lifted my WJ. I went with pro comp shocks and the metal bushing/sleeves where shorter than factory ones. It allowed some play in the shock mount and made a clunking noise. The only options I saw where to either tighten the bolts down enough to collapse the mount around the bushings or shim them with washers. I ended up grabbing some thick and thin washers (m10 or 12 maybe can't recall off the top of my head) and stuffing as many as I could in, on both sides of the bushing inside the mounts and re torqued. Been quiet ever since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom