Picking some thoughts JK vs JL build

1lostCDN

Hey guys, just wondering some of your opinions. If you guys were given the money to build a Jeep including the purchase of the Jeep would you guys rather build up a 2007-2011 JK or Buy a brand new JL and work off of that? The idea would be to build a rig that could take on MOAB or whatever other trail you put in front of it all while driving to and from it in some sort of comfort.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, just wondering some of your opinions. If you guys were given the money to build a Jeep including the purchase of the Jeep would you guys rather build up a 2007-2011 JK or Buy a brand new JL and work off of that? The idea would be to build a rig that could take on MOAB or whatever other trail you put in front of it all while driving to and from it in some sort of comfort.

If you're wanting to build and play right away, you're gonna want a JK. Tons of parts for it now and ready to go. If you're willing to wait a bit on parts, I would totally go with a JL if only because you'll need a lot less to build it up.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Depends what you want to do and how soon. There are lots of proven parts for the JK that can make it even more capable ready to go. The JL is brand new, the aftermarket will take a while to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Why a 2007-2011?? I'd go with a low mileage 16-17 or a new '18 JK.

But if you want to wait a little to hit the big rocks, go with a JL.

Emptybrass

Welcome! I just bought a 18 jk over the jl. Reasons, established platform vs. new. I won’t ever buy a first year model again after my ram. No doubt the jl is a better starting platform.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

1lostCDN

Why a 2007-2011?? I'd go with a low mileage 16-17 or a new '18 JK.

But if you want to wait a little to hit the big rocks, go with a JL.

Simple. I went for the farthest ends of the spectrum. in my area I can grab a 07-09 sahara unlimited for between $13,000-15,000 CDN, so that leaves me a lot of budget to build the rig from whereas the New JL Rubicon is most likely going to be $60,000+ to buy here. It's just a topic I'm using to strike up a conversation that,s all. For the price difference between the two you could do an LS swap, big axles, big lift on the JK but you lack all of the new features that have been put into the new JL. It will be interesting to see where the JL will go once everyone starts getting theirs and how the new drive train parts will hold out to the maniacs playing on the rocks :p.

MKBCE

When building a rig for being capable of anything you throw at it... hmmm sounds like replacing most stock items and going after market. So how much difference in capability is there between a JK vs JL ? Right now engines seem about the same given hp & torque specs. Low gears are low gears not sure that in a auto a 8sp vs the 5sp will matter off-road in 4 low creature comforts might prove better in the JL but off-road not sure it would be much. One of the biggest changes in the jeep went to a longer platform with the JK unlimited 4 door vs the TJ and the LJ of course a short wheelbase can have advantages in a few areas but overall the longer wheelbase has taken jeep to another level. So I think in my personal opinion it may never happen with a built JL besting a built JK I don't see how much difference there would be in the platforms after going after market parts in the finished builds.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
When building a rig for being capable of anything you throw at it... hmmm sounds like replacing most stock items and going after market. So how much difference in capability is there between a JK vs JL ? Right now engines seem about the same given hp & torque specs. Low gears are low gears not sure that in a auto a 8sp vs the 5sp will matter off-road in 4 low creature comforts might prove better in the JL but off-road not sure it would be much. One of the biggest changes in the jeep went to a longer platform with the JK unlimited 4 door vs the TJ and the LJ of course a short wheelbase can have advantages in a few areas but overall the longer wheelbase has taken jeep to another level. So I think in my personal opinion it may never happen with a built JL besting a built JK I don't see how much difference there would be in the platforms after going after market parts in the finished builds.

The 8 speed vs 5 speed in low range is night and day. You are talking 3.59 vs 4.71 first. That’s almost as much different as a Sport vs a Rubicon case. The 8 speed also really wakes up the 3.6, it again is night and day. Drive one you’ll see. If money is no object and you are ok with the learning curve I’d do the JL all day. If you want right now and proven get a JK.

Tanktitan

The 8 speed vs 5 speed in low range is night and day. You are talking 3.59 vs 4.71 first. That’s almost as much different as a Sport vs a Rubicon case. The 8 speed also really wakes up the 3.6, it again is night and day. Drive one you’ll see. If money is no object and you are ok with the learning curve I’d do the JL all day. If you want right now and proven get a JK.

^^^ He is right about the gearing. I drove a Sport today. Impressive low end quickness. Fast, comfortable high end. All and all I would rather build on the JL but that is not an option today or even near term. Nothing wrong with a JK today if the goal is to mod it. Remember they still sell 2018 JK’s too. The nameplate says Wrangler JK to differentiate with the JL ‘18.

Top Bottom