Help! This is what my gauge is reading at idle. And i have no clue what the problem i

dwoodnj

This is what my gauge is reading at idle. And i have no clue what the problem is but it has been like this for over a year. Could adding a ground wire and cleaning up thw ground connections fix it? Brand new alternator and battery too

Sent from my LG-H345 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

Check your output with a multimeter.
My XJ shows the same thing but charges fine. I just havnt sat down to find the actual issue but at least I know my voltage is where it should be. Hope you find the actual issue but at least you might get piece of mind in the mean time.

aka cavfighter

TRLJNKY

I just go straight to the battery with it running. Im looking for 13.5v to 14.5.

aka cavfighter

WJCO

Meme King
Where do you normally hook the multimeter wires to to check the output?

I just go straight to the battery with it running. Im looking for 13.5v to 14.5.

aka cavfighter

^Do this. Also, if you do the same right at the alternator (red probe on alt power cable and black on the metal alternator body) then compare that with the battery reading, they should be the same. If they're not, you have high resistance somewhere.

if its been like that for a year and it still starts and runs, the gauge is bad or has bad connections and your charging system is probably just fine. Enjoy your jeep quirk

TRLJNKY

Thank you for the feedback guys!
Also, when i turn the heater on, the gauge drops just a little bit, is that normal?

Yeah its amp draw. Turn it all on. Check voltage at the battery. If its where it should be at least you know your good and now can take your time into troubleshooting the gauge

Top Bottom